Sega's Genesis Mini returns to Black Friday pricing

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Sega’s Genesis Mini is one of the better retro consoles out there and for a limited time, it can again be had at Black Friday pricing. The system wasn’t perfect – the inclusion of a three-button controller instead of the six-button variant is a kick in the gut for fighting game aficionados, the overly sensitive UI could use some tweaks and rubberized feet would have helped the console stay put – but Sega absolutely nailed the look at feel of the miniature chassis.

Launched in the latter half of 2019, the Genesis Mini (known as the Mega Drive Mini internationally) is a miniature console in the image of the NES Classic. The console comes pre-loaded with 42 games including classics like Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Road Rash II and Comix Zone as well as two wired controllers, a power cable with USB adapter and an HDMI cable.

From the mock expansion port for the Sega CD on the bottom and the cartridge slot up top to the “functional” volume slider, everything is where it should be. It’s by far the most detailed miniature console to date.

For a limited time, you can nab a Sega Genesis Mini for $49.99 – that’s $30 off the normal price – from Amazon or Best Buy. As of writing, Amazon shows the next batch of units will be in stock on May 31. Best Buy’s website says it can get it out by May 20. No word on how long the sale will run meaning if you want one, it’d be best to grab the deal ASAP.

In related news, Konami's TurboGrafx-16 Mini is scheduled to arrive on May 22 after being pushed back by Covid-19. It'll run you a bit more, however, as pre-orders are set at $99.

Tower of Power courtesy Nintendo Life

Permalink to story.

I bought my Genesis mini for about $70 with shipping and got it in the mail about a month ago. I still have my original Genesis and its games and I'll always be disappointed with the mini for not having Moonwalker and Revenge of Shinobi. Shinobi 3 isn't as good a placeholder.

I'm sure most other Genesis lovers aren't happy that sonic & Knuckles didn't make the cut either.

I spend most of my Genesis time playing F22: Advanced Interceptor.

Attachments

• 98874853_10157808727058515_4280279384021008384_o.jpg
    98874853_10157808727058515_4280279384021008384_o.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I bought my Genesis mini for about $70 with shipping and got it in the mail about a month ago. I still have my original Genesis and its games and I'll always be disappointed with the mini for not having Moonwalker and Revenge of Shinobi. Shinobi 3 isn't as good a placeholder.

I'm sure most other Genesis lovers aren't happy that sonic & Knuckles didn't make the cut either.

I spend most of my Genesis time playing F22: Advanced Interceptor.

Why don't you just add the games you want? It's quite easy as in this video by ETA Prime:

I'm happy with Kega Fusion on my PC and laptops, and Picodrive in my PSP and NDS3DXL. Can play anything, anytime, without the additional power supply or getting tethered to a TV, though I can still do it with my Raspberry Pi 3 with Retropie.

"Launched in the latter half of 2019, the Genesis Mini (known as the Mega Drive Mini internationally) is a miniature console in the image of the Nintendo Entertainment Classic."

Hmmm... Nintendo?

Why don't you just add the games you want? It's quite easy as in this video by ETA Prime:

Originally, I was going to simply not respond to this question, but I read a story this morning that reaffirmed my conviction regarding hacking/ jailbreaking.

"A group of alleged Nintendo Switch hackers are being sued by Nintendo for causing “tremendous harm” to the company in a new court filing. The lawsuit alleges that these hackers have enabled Nintendo Switch modding and game piracy as central issues.

Two lawsuits have been filed last Friday by the Japanese hardware and software manufacturer. The first targets the owner of the “Uberchips” website over a third-party device for the console. The second lawsuit, meanwhile, goes after a number of anonymous individuals hiding behind online aliases."

Nintendo is suing hackers who compromised Switch to make it possible for it to violate IP laws.

I personally don't want to use or partake in it.

Originally, I was going to simply not respond to this question, but I read a story this morning that reaffirmed my conviction regarding hacking/ jailbreaking.

"A group of alleged Nintendo Switch hackers are being sued by Nintendo for causing “tremendous harm” to the company in a new court filing. The lawsuit alleges that these hackers have enabled Nintendo Switch modding and game piracy as central issues.

Two lawsuits have been filed last Friday by the Japanese hardware and software manufacturer. The first targets the owner of the “Uberchips” website over a third-party device for the console. The second lawsuit, meanwhile, goes after a number of anonymous individuals hiding behind online aliases."

Nintendo is suing hackers who compromised Switch to make it possible for it to violate IP laws.

I personally don't want to use or partake in it.

If you already own the cartridge that you've been unable to play on your Mini, you're legally allowed to make a copy of it under the DMCA Act in the USA. It isn't illegal to make a copy of a ROM that you OWN and play it on your Genesis Mini, at least not in the USA. You're comparing apples to oranges by bringing up the Nintendo Switch example. The example you provided involves adding hardware and physically modifying the Switch AND modifying the firmware to allow users to circumvent copy protection. This is completely different than loading a legally owned ROM onto your Mini. There are no hardware modifications required on the Mini to add ROMs that you legally own. Complaining that you can't/won't add software to your Mini is as ridiculous as someone complaining that they won't add software to their PC because said PC didn't ship with whatever software package they want to add. But hey, it's your Mini and your ROMs so do what you will with them, even if that means not playing with them but you knew up front what games were included so you have no one to blame but yourself for buying it and look more than a bit ridiculous by showing up here NOW to complain about it what titles were NOT included.

And the Mini has been out for quite some time as well as the method to add additional games to it. If Sega felt threatened or thought that adding games to the Mini was illegal they would certainly have taken legal action by now, but they haven't.

Last edited:
If you already own the cartridge that you've been unable to play on your Mini, you're legally allowed to make a copy of it under the DMCA Act in the USA. It isn't illegal to make a copy of a ROM that you OWN and play it on your Genesis Mini, at least not in the USA.

I wouldn't be modifying it to play games that I already have. I would be modifying it to run games that I don't have, that it didn't come with, and that it wouldn't have come with do to licensing issues. For example, my NES and SNES mini didn't come with any TMNT games. Those are the ones I'd be putting on them.

Nevermind. Move on.

Back