Seller's Corner

DaMak420

I am pretty sure we are not allowed to sell anything here at techspot.... but I am curious as to why?

I guess the reason I ask, is it came up for me personally just recently.

Disclaimer : Not trying to sell this here -

I just recently decided I am probably going to try to sell my GTX280. I caught the upgrade bug. I would love to be able to go to a spot here, and possibly find a person to sell it to.

Why Here?! - It is a central place with lots of people, with various needs, and people with lots of knowledge.

Even if TS was not used to "broker" a deal, but just a place for people to connect through.... like, as my topic title states, something like a "Seller's Corner"

Where Person A could let people know they are in the market to let go of something, and Person's B-Z can see it, and contact the "seller" directly outside of the forums (email, phone, IM, etc etc.)

A restriction could be placed regarding personal vs retail/commercial sales... as this isn't for commercial/retail, this is people with new/used stuff they don't need any longer trying to find a new home for it.

Another restriction could be placed so that maybe only user's with a post count of 500 or more can actually post a "Want To Sell...." thread. That way it would keep out trolls, and scammers.

Just a few thoughts... I would love to hear some in return :)

In my opinion;

Data management is tough enough AND expensive since archiving still takes lots of memory and the site has to pay for it.

Adding and managing ads for personal stuff would be expensive - someone still has to moderate and then there are complaints about theft, etc.

Not worth the hassle.

Have you seen Hot Deals forum? => https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu25.html

This area on TechSpot is very sensitive though
So I would suggest you read the sticky in that thread: No ads, spam or referral programs allowed, you will be banned!

It's all about correct wording, and without the 3rd party links (ie eBay and alike)

Kim - I have seen this section , the last part of the "nono list" -
- No ads! Dealers or sellers can not post their own stuff.

Implies to me that I can NOT put up a "Want to sell my used memory. 100,000.00 dollars. Email me at joe@jones.com" (Hopefully my ridiculous dollar amount and email address used as example are clearly fictitious)

That is more along the lines of what I am talking about.

I think allowing a post to find interested parties, but not allowing any deal brokering through the site protects from any liability. A simple disclaimer in a sticky in the forum would reiterate that.

While web space is expensive and it would be one more way forum to moderate, it could potentially drive even more hits to the site, which in turn could drive more revenue for the site. Although that is presumptuous on my part, as I am unaware how the advertisement and traffic income generation is setup for this site.

As far as moderating.... I am sure there are people willing to step up to the challenge. I know I would in a heartbeat (not that I have the credentials here yet, but just an example)

It's a good suggestion
Personally I prefer more technical and hardware discussion threads and members, rather than sales :(
ie Sales is everywhere already

Julio reads these threads, so we will leave it as a suggestion to his possible comments on the matter
Pretty sure he'll say read the sticky and adhere to that, and all will be good
But site growth is always good :) So you never know ;)

Julio, Julio, where for art thou Julio.....

:) hehe just kidding. kinda a slow day at work... a little bored.

We discussed this a while back. We've all seen too many forums go down the tubes as it turned into a spamfest to sell items. There are sites like ebay that are total devoted to just that. We don't have the time, resources, or desire to try to moderate some sort of sale thread and then have to babysit any possible theft or misleading sales.

There are definately some downsides. or potential negatives Papa, I certainly see them..... I guess the part of me that really wants to see it happen is the part that knows there are actually people here with sincere interest, and need.

You are right... I can throw something up on Ebay, or craigslist or something like that.

But when I see post after post on here about some one with fried memory, or burnt out Video card, or a fried CPU, I also see potential for our members in good standing(prevents spamming of fraudulent or false sales) to offer up used or new equipment they wont be using.

Tech Spot itself would hold no liability for the sale, nor would any sale details or finalization be done through the site.

The forum itself could be a subscription forum as well, where if a user wanted to use the forum itself, they would apply for the access, and in doing so, must agree to Disclaimer for TS.

The TS forums would not actually be a selling location, more of a meeting spot where users could see opportunities, and choose to act on them or not.

Papa, please don't take my reply as an arguement, or a "rebuttle"

You made some great points and it just sparked these follow-up thoughts for me!

If it were to happen, it would be best (IMO) if it were limited so that only certain people could post, IE, anyone with more than 500 posts, so that somebody can't use the site because we 'seem more trusting' and screws someone over. I don't know how to word it better, so yeah, sorry.

Edit: I just seen your "subscription forum" comment, and yes, that would be a great idea, but it'd still be best to make it just for regular members of TS, as we don't want people joining just to buy stuff/sell stuff/scam people.

So, revisiting this idea... I'd like to hear what other members have to say. By setting some constraints like DaMak suggested this could actually be of some serious service to TS members:

1) Make the Buy/Sell/Trade board inaccessible to guests, not even read-only.
2) Make the board read-only for registered members with X number of posts - I suggest 100-150.
3) Allow members to post after X number of posts - I suggest 200.
4) An additional constraint could be based on account seniority, perhaps a 3-month old account would be the minimum for the Buy/Sell/Trade board to become available.

Consider this will also limit the universe of potential members to buy/sell/trade but will also make sure this is exclusive to established TS community members.

Julio, I know of a board where the buy/sell forum incorporated all your mentioned rules (except the last one) and it works very well.

Have you seen Hot Deals forum? => https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu25.html

This area on TechSpot is very sensitive though
So I would suggest you read the sticky in that thread: No ads, spam or referral programs allowed, you will be banned!

It's all about correct wording, and without the 3rd party links (ie eBay and alike)

kim we recently went through something like this, I've personally sent an item to a member in the past and have another one packed to ship. I'm not selilng though, some members including Kim had asked about a post on the issue. It was all cleared up though.

There have been times I've been online late at night and see spammers selling things. Its annoying.

Well, report =>
report.gif
all spammers
But good point, this has already been ok'd from Julio due to your long term posting
I suspect a ruling should be made, on what's acceptable and what's not
The post count and combined member seniority, does sound the best option

Back