Server hard drive not recognized

Alexexex

So basically, I decided to take a 120gb seagate hard drive from an old server I had laying around for extra storage on my desktop. The thing is it is not recognized by my desktop, however is recognized in the bios. I've looked at computer management and its recognized, but is not assigned a drive letter. When I right click I don't get any options...

I'm sort of stumped with this, please help. :)

If you haven't already, make sure you have installed all the SATA controller drivers for your motherboard. Some motherboards have more than one brand.

also make sure that the drive initialized. there should be a red symbol with white cross if so.
in the disc manager is the drive marked black or blue?
if it is black you should create a volume on it before you can assign a drive letter to it.

You installed Windows 7 but it appears that motherboard does not have any Windows 7 compatible chipset drivers. You need those drivers to run Windows 7 properly.

Lol I know but I'm not sure where do find them if they aren't on the official motherboard website...

Sorry I wasn't clearer before. What I'm saying is you can't run Windows 7 with this motherboard because there are no compatible chipset drivers for it. The official motherboard website is the place to get them but since they aren't there, you are out of luck. You will have to go back to a supported OS like XP or perhaps you can get a new motherboard that does support Windows 7.

OH.

I just looked at your Disk Management snapshot. Is Disk 1 in the snapshot the disk you are talking about? If so i'm not so sure it's a driver issue. Here's why

The disk is recognized in Disk Management. That means the drivers have been installed OK as far Device Manager is concerned. The physical disk is being detected and logically exists now in Disk Management. In fact, Windows detects the disk and sees TWO partitions on the drive. (So it's physically detected and even logical partitions exist)

Question is why it won't allow you assign a drive letter at this point :confused:

/* EDIT */
I have an idea.. will post more sometime tomorrow when i have a chance

Hmm so I'm thinking I could try the Vista x64 drivers because its almost like Windows 7 and they contain the chipset as well a complete set of the other drivers. What do you guys think? Lol Vista blows I can't ever go back. :(

Hmm so I'm thinking I could try the Vista x64 drivers because its almost like Windows 7 and they contain the chipset as well a complete set of the other drivers. What do you guys think? Lol Vista blows I can't ever go back. :(
WAIT!!!

The problem you described "The disk exists in Disk Management but you can't assign a drive letter to the disk partition" sounded sooooooo familiar / similar to some other problems i've seen but it took a bit of time for my brain cells to kick in! and remember how and why!

Your problem may <fingers crossed> be due to something called "filters".

See [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post]. Try removing the upper and lower disk filters, reboot and try again. This might help

p.s. i also did a quick google and found at least one other person with your same problem who also fixed it by removing their filters! see [Solved] Win7 Wont Assign Drive Letter (Solved

Hope it might work for you as well!

AHHH... windows wouldn't start anymore and I had to rely on system repair to get me booting again!

AHHH... windows wouldn't start anymore and I had to rely on system repair to get me booting again!

YIKES!

1. Are you sure you navigated to the right registry key?
==> Did you navigate to the key manually, by hand? Or did you use the Regjump command, per the instructions, to get there?

2. Are you now back to original problem and unable to assign a drive letter? If you want to just a provide a snapshot, navigate back to the registry key again, take a screen shot and attach. I can take a look

Back