Set audio out as microphone in

hellokitty[hk]

Hello,
I have a laptop and it only has an audio out 3.5mm jack. I want to be able to use an external 3.5mm microphone, but I don't know how to or if you can set that 3.5mm audio out jack as the microphone in line.
I'd rather not have to use any hardware to do so.
Thanks for reading.

Is this an ability that is limited by hardware?
It's a vizio CT14.
Anyway, in the quick start guide it says it works with headphones that have a microphone and in the datasheet it says 3.5mm Headphone/Microphone port.
I can't find a full manual and it didn't come with one.

Is this an ability that is limited by hardware?
Yes, hardware must support input and output, even if it can be switched with software.
Anyway, in the quick start guide it says it works with headphones that have a microphone and in the datasheet it says 3.5mm Headphone/Microphone port.
In this case your port looks to support both input and output. I think headsets are designed with this port connection. You would only need to know the pin-out of your Vizio CT14 port.
4-pin%25203.5mm%2520headset%2520connector.png

Then you could get a splitter like this.
7987_z.jpg

I can't find a full manual and it didn't come with one.
I will look around and see if I can find a manual for the "Vizio CT14".

Edit: There are 6 Vizio CT14, which one specifically do you have?

Thanks a lot, I have the A0 (i3 W7) version, but AFAIK the hardware is all the same except for the processor and SSD I'd expect them all the have the same manual. My quickstart guide is universal for all CT 14 and CT 15.

Ahh I see, then I suppose if the pin layout isn't the same with my microphone and laptop there's no way to change that by software huh?

Ahh I see, then I suppose if the pin layout isn't the same with my microphone and laptop there's no way to change that by software huh?
I would say no for the most part but that depends on whether hardware was designed to adapt for both configurations. My first thought would be one configuration only, but you never know.

Okay, I'll look for a pinout configuration or email support but I'm guessing that if I don't find anything a "standard" one will probably work.

Curious about the pin out table above. Most likely the microphone is an "electret" type. That is, I believe, a 3 terminals device: (power in), (output+) and (output - or ground). The mike is connected between pins 3 and 4 according to the table so where would the 3rd electret mike terminal be?
Is it possible to see a connection/wiring diagram of the splitter cable?

Back