Set up of the internet

I would like to get a little more information on a internet connection. I have contacted my service provide and they maintain that my internet is working. Due to the long distance to where the my computer is, I have run a long lan cable to as far as I can and used a billion router to act as a hub then run a cable to my pc. I managed to get about 5 minutes of connection and then I lose connection. I would like to know is this because I am using another router and if that is it must I use a hub?

Using a long lan cable could well be the problem. There are homeplugs available which are very effective so look them up. You plug them into your electric sockets and the ethernet signal is carried round the mains circuit. You have one homeplug for the ethernet cable to the PC and another to the router. They are supplied with short ethernet cables and are as good as a wireless set up.

Cat 5E (which is the most widely used ethernet cable type for home usage) can maintain 1,000Mbps up to 100m/328ft from endpoint to endpoint. Past that distance, speed drops down accordingly. In short (pun intended), Cable length is not the issue - assuming you don't have a 328ft long property of course!

If you are running a multi-router setup you need to ensure both are setup correctly. Only one router can act as the Gateway - this is the router that connects to your ISP and the outside world. Any other routers need to be statically configured with different IP addresses on the same subnet (for your intended usage anyway) and have the default gateway IP that points to the IP address of the 1st router, connected to the internet connection.

You also need to decide which of the routers will handle DHCP (DHCP servers assign IP addresses to devices connected to the network). For ease of usage I recommend you keep that enabled on the primary router and disable the DHCP server on any subsequent routers.

If you don't want to have to mess around with IP addresses and network settings you can install a switch in place of the second router. You can also use a HomePlug as @bazz2004 has pointed out above.

The classical wiring is
ips==(wanside) router#1 (lanside) ------ (wanside) router#2 (lanside) --- pc systems​
each router will have a unique address. The above is unnecessary and creates sharing issues between PCs attached to different routers (wire or wifi)

A solution to avoid the sharing issue is to make router#2 act as a switch and it's trivial to effect
ips==(wanside) router#1 (lanside) ------ (lanside) router#2 (lanside) --- pc systems​
notice that router#2 is left with the wanside slot empty and is connected to router#1 using another lan slot.

Only requirement is to disable router#2 DHCP service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have contacted my service provide and they maintain that my internet is working.... long distance to where the my computer is,... I managed to get about 5 minutes of connection and then I lose connection.

LOTS of reasons for disconnects. Here's a fix that frequently corrects the condition.
  • find the WAN side settings
  • change the MTU from 1500 to 1492
  • save this and log out
Goofy, obscure, but it is effective. This setting will protect ALL systems on either router. With this value, the TCP will not allow packet fragmentation and without that, it never needs to reassemble large packets. Saves time and you never crash the routed to to buffer overflow.

Back