Setup can not read disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just got a new hard drive when i put both hard drives on the computer only says COMPAQ the new hard drive wont read my xp disk but the old hard drive will also when i start up the old hard drive and then put in the new one ,the new one wont show up im having problems could somoe one please help

Oh and also the new hard drive wont read my xp disk it says it cant read it or the disk is not valid

I have read through your 2 posts umpteen times and I cannot figure out whether you are spoofing or just lost.

Let's start here - you had 1 hard drive with an operating system loaded and the computer ran OK.

You added another hard drive and now you only get as far as a screen logo 'COMPAQ'.

When you now insert your XP cd in the cd drive it says 'it cant read it or the disk is not valid'.

Is this anywhere near what you mean?

yes thats what it is the new hard drive says set up cant read disk when both drives are in stalled it only says COMPAQ but i can hear both drives running when i run the old drive let it start up & then plug in the new drive it it wont show the new drive so to answer you question i am very lost

OK - we start;

With the original drive in and the 'new' drive, disconnected, can you still get into the 'old' operating system?

OK - are you just trying to add a data storage drive OR are you attempting to reload the OS on the 'new' drive'?

im trying to use the new drive as the master and then get a few programs off my old drive on to the new one the old drive is a quantum big foot 6 gig the new one is a westerndigital 60 gig

Assuming your mobo Bios supports and is set to run a 60 Gb drive, and Windows doesn't have a brain fart when you try to 'upgrade' your own computer, you have to actually disconnect your 'old' drive and start with the 'new' drive solo.

Have you done that?

yes then it will run syten set load all the files but before it installs it it say setup can not read disk or disk is not valid

That is talking about your install disk.

Is it clean? Is it legitamite? Is it a slipstreamed one?

OK - if that is what you installed on your 'old' drive, then reconnect it, disconnect the 'new' drive, reboot.

System works? OK.

Insert the XP cd. Close the window. Reboot.

When the prompt to 'boot from cd' or whatever it says comes up, say 'Y'. Then, go through the steps as if you were going to do a 'Repair Install' EXCEPT cancel when you get the chance. The screen will have the last option as 'To quit settup without installing Windows XP, Press F3.'.

This will at least prove that your cd can be read that far.

See here: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repair-Windows-XP-t138.html

What happens?

the old drive will run the xp disk just fine but when i try to run it on the new drive it will get to the repair or install part the when i choose install it says setup cant read disk but when i choose repair it ask which drive c:\windows or c:\windows \0 or something like that but the new drive will read the disk untill it comes time to install it

You are doing this again!

I don't really care about the 'new' disk here. Answer my previous post.

I'm having a hard time understanding your posts but I have an important question that I don't think has been asked. Did you set the jumpers on the new hard drive to slave or "cable select" If you install a second hard drive, it must a set as "slave" or "cable select"

-- Andy

As I have said once before almcneil, I plod. I plod extremely slowly when the footing is slippery.

If you want to take this slippery trail on, be my guest!

after doing what you asked the old drive went through the process ask which one to repair i pressed F3 then it started to re boot

i set the jumpers to slave then i also tried cable select

I must take a break - either almcneil will solve your issue, or someone else, or I'll be back tomorrow. Your choice.

How old is the computer you're trying to upgrade?

Is your Windows XP install disk in pristine condition?

Is you optical drive (CD ROM, CD burner, DVD ROM, DVD burner) connected to the same cable as your new hard drive?

Okay, disconnect the old 6GB drive and pretend it's not there for the duration of the install or remove it all together if you need the room to install the new drive.

Take the 60GB (new) drive and make sure you set it to "Master" and also be sure to plug the drive into the socket furthest away from the motherboard on the ribbon cable. Also make sure you plug the power cable back into your 60GB (new) drive, and restart your computer.

When the computer begins to POST (turn on) you will need to see if your motherboard has detected the new drive. To do this you'll need to make sure the "COMPAQ" screen turns off as your motherboard POSTs. The COMPAQ screen will cover the motherboards POST messages if you don't make sure it goes away. You will have to take a good hard look at the information contained on the screen to see how to make the COMPAQ screen turn off. Tapping the Esc key will often allow you to see the motherboard POST.

You should also find out what key or key conbination will allow you to get into your computers BIOS.

Please tell me what you see on the POST screen.

when i do that it detects the new drive but the new drive wont read my xp disk or it will read it to the point of " press enter to begin set up" when enter it says that it cant read disk or disk is invalid. but when i run xp on my old drive the disk runs just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back