Share ripped movies with your friends online using new Streamnation feature

Shawn Knight

Staff member

streamnation cloud share ripped movies

Streamnation is now adding the ability to stream movies and TV shows to your friends in addition to photos and videos. It may sound a bit too good to be true but founder Jonathan Benassaya, who is also co-founder of music streaming service Deezer, says he is confident in the legality of the outfit.

If you’re unfamiliar with the service, here’s how it works. You upload a movie to your account and make it available on your profile. From here, your friends can see the flick and elect to stream it on-demand to any computer or iOS device. When they are watching the movie, it will be unavailable for you to view at the same time.

Benassaya says this method is essentially borrowing in the digital world as it has the same restrictions that lending out a physical movie would – you can't watch it while your friend is. He said the concept of borrowing inside of fair use is restricted to friends and family but more importantly, there isn’t any copying involved. And since you aren’t distributing copies of movies or TV shows to your friends, there aren’t any copyright infringement issues to worry with.

How heavily utilized the new feature will be, however, remains to be seen. That’s because some 25 percent of the site’s users are pro photographers and more recently, they’ve been attracting small video production studios looking for an alternative to Vimeo and Ooyala.

Permalink to story.

"Benassaya says this method is essentially borrowing in the digital world as it has the same restrictions that lending out a physical movie would ? you can't watch it while your friend is."

Yes you can, you have the original file on your computer, which could be potential pirated in the first place. They must have some serious screening process involved when you upload a video, and what keeps people from pirating the streaming video? More encryption I would assume, or at least would hope.

Actually I'm going to try it out with the free 10GB, see if there are limitations on what can be uploaded.

Actually I'm going to try it out with the free 10GB, see if there are limitations on what can be uploaded.
Please post how it works for you. I have a lot of foreign films that I can find no place to buy I would like to show some people, this sounds perfect.

Initial use was a little slow, with Firefox you can't log in and I had to switch to Chrome. The first video file I uploaded got into queue to be converted but I accidentally removed it thinking it was done. I tried a different file which again got into queue which took overnight to be accessible. I can log in and watch said video and the streaming will require a 10mbit line for low def from what I gather, data usage was ranging from 1-8mbit/s. Currently uploading Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back, 700MB standard def, using the PC app. Before that I tried some newer movies but they didn't get past the first local scan. I will try HD content next.

Also the 10GB free claim is a bit twisted, you start with 2GB and only by inviting friends, installing the PC and iPhone app, sharing videos, ect. Will you get your 10GB.

Back