Sharing a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhys

I took my horrid Epson CX9400Fax out of the equation. Now I wish to share my wife's HP C4240. Setting it up for printer-sharing was a piece of cake. I want to access the scanner from the network too though. How do I do this? I can find only vague references to opening ports etc to achieve this. I have not thus far shared the memory card slots although that should be quite easy. The scanner is the one big thing I'd like to share.

Based on what is available for an office network, the scanner will transmit a file to the networked computer. On a home network, using a shared drive may accomplish this.

However, the operation of the scanner is from the local computer.

So what is needed is scanner software that works with network names for the scanner, if the goal is to operate the scanner from a remote computer.

Have you found a way to assign a network name to the scanner? I believe that the local computer treats it at the 'port' level ( a device).

"NET use lpt1 \\q_xp\2170" is a cmd window command to share "Windows-based" printers with legacy DOS applications. "net /?" may reveal other ways to use the command. The example here used the shared printer named on the local computer addressed by computer name.

Just did this myself.

Canon MP470 is sweet, as the COPY key on the MFU starts the imaging and sends
it directly to my system without any operation on the system by me.

However, obviously it can only send automatically to ONE system.

Shared users need to initiate the COPY from their system using the software interface, not the copy key on the MFU.

The standard print/file sharing ports 135/445 are used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back