Sharkoon announces Tactix keyboard for cash-strapped gamers

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Sharkoon has announced what is possibly the most affordable keyboard specifically designed for gamers. For €12.99 (roughly $15 and change), the Tactix offers most of the essential features you'd expect to find in a gaming keyboard, including support for up to 18 simultaneous key presses so your actions will always be registered -- at least on paper.

It's unclear whether all keys are covered by the anti-ghosting measure or if it's only present on certain gaming-oriented keys (such as WASD and the surrounding buttons). The latter seems more likely. Regardless, it's a notch above what you'll find on similarly-priced keyboards and it should prevent complications when mashing several keys at once.

Likewise, you won't find many $15 keyboards that ship with easy-to-use software for remapping keys and configuring macros. Sharkoon's solution supports 10 different profiles with three layers each. It's unclear if all the keys are programmable and it's worth noting that the Tactix doesn't have dedicated macro keys or internal flash memory (settings are stored on your hard drive, so you'll need to carry a flash drive or use a service like Dropbox to sync profiles across several machines).

sharkoon launches compact keyboard gamers

Besides functionality, Sharkoon aimed for an aggressive gaming aesthetic including rubberized blue keycaps for WASD and the arrows, though if that's not your thing, they can be swapped with the provided standard black keycaps. It's common for gaming keyboards to extend beyond 19 inches wide, but the Tactix is somewhat compact at 16.96 x 5.35 x 0.94 inches (5.35 inches presumably excludes its detachable wrist rest) . Sharkoon hasn't revealed when or if the product will hit US shelves.

Permalink to story.

This looks kind of nice for people who work on a budget, the key quality and the loudness/preasure needed for typing will make it a hit or a sink.

Guys, I play a game called Darkfall Online, it's basically one hell of a competitive, full loot, fps/melee fest of a game.

There are so many spells that you must be able to access quickly that I make full use of a Naga and an amazing autohotkey script.

I have a major problem when I'm trying to cast some of the spells I have bound to Shift+(any key after t), and anti-ghosting would fix it. I don't need macro's, etc., so this keyboard would be perfect if it lives up to it's hype.

THAT's the benefit to the large number of keys being able to be pressed.

hell ive been using just a logitech k250 for gaming, I do have razer nostromo to use as well but this for the price looks like a good deal to me!

The only complaint I have is the short backspace key. Other than that, it looks like a good value.

I'd actually agree with you guest, I am so use to the longer backspace key, and when I use it it's usually with my ring finger (as my pinky is a little too short) so therefor I hit the backspace button on the side nearest my hand. If my G110 ever breaks, this would be good value to game with while getting a replacement.... the backspace isnt a big deal since I do game more on my PC than what I type.

looks nice, although I (personally) would rather pay $5 more and get a line of macro buttons on the left side...

[FONT=Arial]Even for cash-strapped gamers the SIDEWINDER X4 or the ROCCAT Arvo still seems like the better value.[/FONT]

Back