Shifting core files big problem

xcylent

So I recently built myself a computer. I have a 500GB Hard drive, and during the installation of windows I forgot to make a partition.
I already tried making a partition the re-installing windows on that, but for some reason it kept failing.

so I'm wondering if there's a way to move all my core Windows NVIDIA Program Files etc. into just one folder. then possibly make it hidden. would that work? is there any way to do this?

If you head into the Administrative Tools in Control Panel you can create a partition by shrinking your existing C: partition by the amount of space you want to use for a second one.

There is absolutely no need to re-install Windows.

Using your mouse, click Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > On the left menu pane, click Disk Management under the heading Storage.

You be presented by this: (Ignore all the hard disks I have, you want the top one, which is disk 0 in my picture and has drive C: on it)

Disk_Management Main Screen.JPG

Then do the following:

1. Left click the mouse over the C: disk to highlight it.
2. Right click the mouse over the C: disk to bring up the menu
3. Select Shrink Volume....
4. Wait while it queries how much space can be reduced (can take a few minutes to do this)

This will appear:

[CENTER]Shrink_Option_Disk_Manager.JPG[/CENTER]

The white box, "Enter the amount of space you want to shrink in MB" is the option you want.

To help you: 10GB = 10,000 MB, 100GB = 100,000 MB

You want to shrink it by the amount you would want to make you new partition in total size.

Click Shrink and it will do so, which might take a little while again.

Once completed you'll have a black volume to the right of the C: disk labelled something like unallocated space.

Select that black space, right click to bring up menu, select create simple volume and click ok. It will then make the second partition for you.

that has to be one of the best things that's ever happened to me on any forum.
Lee, I thank you.

although, now that I've done that, how do I shift all my core programs over onto the new partition?

Back