Short 5-10 sec freeze only in games on a new computer

IGr33tU

Hello everyone, I have encountered a problem with my new computer that I cannot solve by my own and I would like to ask for your help. Here is my computer configuration:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor
Motherboard: ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD
Ram : WINTEC AMPX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
GPU: SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5[/I]
PSU : SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80

The problem that I encounter is random 10 -15 sec freeze of my monitor screen during the period of which I can still hear the sound of the game but I cannot move nor do anything. After the initial 3-5 sec of the freeze period, the screen turns black for 5-10 sec and then goes back to normal at the point of which I can play again. During the freeze period, my internet connection seem to be stopped because after the freeze I have the "waiting for server" window pop up. This issue has been occurring only during games play so far. I play two games, Star Craft 2 and League of Legends and I have the same problem for both of the games. I have found a video with the exact problem that I have, here is the link:

youtube.com/watch?v=XUd80iVHtRA

From all the freezes, there have been two instances when a blue screen appeared and my computer restarted and also about 3-4 instances where the games crashed. This is in a period of 3-4 days. Also, I have noticed that with passage of time, the problem became more often. For example at beginning during 1 hour play it will happen once or not happen at all but after 4-5 hours game play it will happen more often. I have checked for temperature of the video card and it remains around 54 C, which I think is not a concern.

I first thought that it is because of defective GPU or Motherboard so I RMA my items with newegg and I received replacement. After I mounted the hardware and had a fresh install on Windows, the problem still occurred. I also performed check on the RAM with memtest but there were no issues with RAM.

The next thing that I did was, I took the video card the hardisk and the PSU and installed them on my older computer and interestingly there were no freeze at all. I have been using the computer for the last 2 days and everything is perfect.

I am really confused and don't know what might be the problem. Could it be the ASRock motherboard issue or is it something else? I would be grateful if anyone of you can help me. Thank you in advance

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Route44,

Thank you for your reply. I have only one minidump file so far since after I reinstalled windows and I got the problem, I haven't been using the new computer at all. I will be using the computer now for few days and if I get new minidump files, I will post them again. Thank you in advance for your help

Attachments

• 111010-25125-01.7z
    21.7 KB · Views: 3
Your error code is 0xA and these are either caused by hardware or drivers attempting to address a higher IRQ Level then they are designed for resulting in system crashes.

The only thing cited as a probable cause is the Windows OS driver usbport.sys and OS drivers are usually too general to be of much diagnostic help.

What are you using your USB ports for, i.e. what is connected?

Route44,

In my USB I have plugged in cables for my printer, my mouse, my webcam and my iPod USB cable. I don't remember what exactly happened when I got this particular blue screen and the minidump file but since I started testing the computer again, I have had many often random freezes again. Usually, I would play SC2 for an hour without any trouble but after that the freezes occur. They become more occasional as time passes. Also, usually after the 2nd or 3rd freeze, my desktop's wallpaper disappears and instead there is only black background. After I restart, the wallpaper comes again. I was wondering if it could be something wrong with the CPU, although during the short freeze, the sound of the game is working fine, which means it is not a total freeze.

Sounds like a possible heat issue. Try this low tech but really good diagnostic step:

1. Open the side of your case.

2. Find a small fan and set it on the lowest setting.

3. Place close to the side of your open case and have it blow into said case.

4. Now boot up and do the things you normally do that causes the freezing.

* What are the results?

Sounds like a possible heat issue. Try this low tech but really good diagnostic step:

1. Open the side of your case.

2. Find a small fan and set it on the lowest setting.

3. Place close to the side of your open case and have it blow into said case.

4. Now boot up and do the things you normally do that causes the freezing.

* What are the results?

I actually also thought it might be overheating issue, so what I have done is I have taken the side pan of the computer box out. I haven't put a fan but there are 3 fans in my computer box. I have also checked the temperature of my GPU and CPU and it usually doesn't go above 50C for CPU and 55C for GPU when the problem occurs. Nevertheless I will try with the fan now as you suggested.

If I am reading this correctly, your cpu is overclocked, correct? Is anything else overclocked?

I haven't done any overclocking on anything yet. It is manufacture settings and the software that I have used are softwares I have installed from the disk that came with the motherboard. Do you think that there might be any chances that there is a conflict between the motherboard and the video card (incompatible)?

The video card and your motherboard will have no conflicts.

Question: Have you updated your video card drivers? (sorry if you did and I failed to read it)

I didn't use such kind of software. However, on my second installation of windows, I directly downloaded the new drivers from the website.

I finally was able to fix the problem by decreasing the GPU clock speed from 850 Mhz to 800 Mhz. I used the Catalyst Manager to do so. Try it out if it works for you

I do not know about whether the video card came oc'ed but the max speed that the card can handle is 950Mhz and it was set to 850Mhz.

Back