Should I be Worried About This PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opellio88

Hello,

Recently one of my PC's power supplies (PSU) gave way. I purchased a new PSU that had the same max output rating as the PSU that was originally in the computer. Also, all the cables in the new PSU match what the old one has. My only problem is that the DC output numbers on the label of the old PSU do not match the numbers on the new PSU. So, my question is, do I need to match the DC output ratings, or do I just need to match the max output?

Thank You

You don't exactly need to match the old one, usually when purchasing another PSU you can go above the old (stock) specs.

What are the values exactly listed on the new (and old) PSU?
And what hardware to you have? (Video card; Ram other cards)

edit:
I noticed you have system specs already stated, thankyou

Probably easier for someone to help you if you specify the PSU models, or at least provide the output ratings of each.

The general rule of thumb with PCs these days, is that, if it fits physically, it's probably going to work.

*Edit*

Theres the TechSpot server giving priority to kimsland again... :D.

This is just a family system, I'm not looking to beef it up or anything, I just wanted to match what was in the system before...
which it ran fine on for four years

So, will the new PSU work?

No it's not just a family system exactly
You have extra Ram and video card, and therefore need more power, and more fans!

:) It's hard for me to comment on the power pull of your PC without even knowing the hardware specifications, but, I highly doubt it's anywhere in the ballpark of 400w. Furthermore, if you were getting by on a 250W before, this 250W should be fine (despite the fact that there are less amps on pretty much every rail).

Interface and specification wise, they line up fine. It will work in your new PC as far as that is concerned.

You may want to be careful with the actual quality of the PSU, as it wouldn't be fun if this one took the rest of your system with it when it crashes ;).

*Edit*

If the specifications in your profile are the specifications of the PC we are speaking of here, I would probably go with something that has a bit more juice on the 12v rail at the very least.

The EA380 would probably suit that PC a bit better than the Diablotek you have chosen.

Oh, sorry, I failed to mention I was talking about a different system. It's not the one I've have specs listed for...

Zenosincks said:
:) It's hard for me to comment on the power pull of your PC without even knowing the hardware specifications, but, I highly doubt it's anywhere in the ballpark of 400w. Furthermore, if you were getting by on a 250W before, this 250W should be fine (despite the fact that there are less amps on pretty much every rail).

Interface and specification wise, they line up fine. It will work in your new PC as far as that is concerned.

You may want to be careful with the actual quality of the PSU, as it wouldn't be fun if this one took the rest of your system with it when it crashed ;).

Thanks... I hear you about the quality... I was just trying to save a little money.... I'll probably end up eating those words.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back