Should I bother increasing my computer's performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snacks

I haven't really done anything with computer hardware since I built the computer almost a year ago. I figure I might as well learn something about overclocking and do some if it won't be much of a problem for the computer. The most important parts are already in the specifications (aside from the 2gb of RAM, the PSU is an Antec Earthwatts Something or Other, 500w), but obviously ask if you need to know more. I have never had trouble with any parts overheating, either.

hey, snacks,
is there something you want to do that you cant now?, or do you just have the tweak bug? :)

Over clocking can reduce the life span of the hardware (ie the CPU mainly) in the computer
I tend to try to optimize the Windows startups and basically the software on the computer. This can be done with many different areas such as Registry tweaks; Services; Startups; Programs installed even network connectivity, the list goes on and on.

What is starting with the computer?
You could supply a HijackThis log as an attachment so we can see.

Over clocking can reduce the life span of the hardware (ie the CPU mainly) in the computer
Yes, over clock enough and you might not have to clean out your basement :D, one less thing to dust off.

Should I bother increasing my computer's performance?
What do you mean? Gaming wise or just overall speed in general? Probably what is holding you back hardware wise is your harddrive, i'm sure your CPU reads data from your HDD far faster than you hdd can output data. If you want to speed load times up and such, you should do as kimsland says, defrag your hard drive, or get one of those snazzy OCZ vertex SSD, though they are still ridiculously expensive,

I just feel like seeing how well I can get it to run Crysis or anything else graphically demanding.

First off, what background programs should I turn off just to improve general performance? This is working towards the original question, so I don't want an admin throwing the topic around every time the subject changes.

Oh in that case, the most effective thing you can do is overclock your graphics card. If you get errors, or artifacts, turn it down a little. Keep your temps under 70 - 75 degrees C by turning up fan speed You can do so by using programs like EVGA Precision, or ATi Tool.

First off, what background programs should I turn off just to improve general performance? This is working towards the original question, so I don't want an admin throwing the topic around every time the subject changes.
No problems. But by the way, generally member threads are combined into one
ie If you happen to provide a HJT log (as I stated above) and it's found to have malware involved, effectively slowing your Windows down ironically, yes the topic may change (and all for the best for you, in doing so)
All the above info and support replies are good

hey Snacks,
I am not anti overclock like some, just a few things. 1) if you keep it cool (usually an aftermarket cooler) and clean, and keep it fed by a quality PSU, you can OC and it will in the vast majority of times outlive its usefulness. unless you plan to be using the same processor in 6-10 years.2) if you know the risks being that whenever you add heat and or frequency to a solid state device, there is always a chance that it could kill it, or push a weak CPU over the edge.
and if your going to overclock, follow the advice from Kimsland and optimize windows as well,and kitty and OC your graphic card as computers and overclocking are a weakest link scenario.....IMO:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back