Should I upgrade my Processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know if i should upgarde to a AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor?
Link--------- http://techspot.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=60511217/st=product/sv=title

My Info.
Operating System System Model
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States) nVIDIA C51PVM06 FAB1.0
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2,40 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Not hyper-threaded Board: nVIDIA 6150BK8MC FAB1.0
Serial Number: WY3Q61201503
Bus Clock: 201 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 01/23/2006
Drives Memory Modules c,d
480,10 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
439,45 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Whether you should upgrade depends on your use. The question arises only when something is not doing what it's supposed to do or if you're looking to do something else.

If the current processor serves your purpose and is running good, then you needn't. Well that's just my opinion. :)

Phenom quad-cores, and any other quad core processors, are typically used for heavier multi-tasking and tasks that take advantage of the additional cores, such as DVD ripping, video encoding, and some of the newest games. If you use your computer for general-purpose tasks, such as web browsing, playing music/video, and using some lighter software, this extra power is typically not required. Of course, having extra cores is NEVER a bad thing and will extend the life of your system indefinitely.

@ ExcellR8 : But do you think that only upgrading the processor will be of much benefit? And if he is planning on gaming/ video encoding then wouldn't it be necessary for him to look to upgrade mobo/ PSU, etc.?

Looks like you have a Socket 939 motherboard. If so, you cannot upgrade to an AM2 CPU; you'll need to find a 939 CPU faster than what you currently have.

Can you confirm your motherboard's specs via CPU-Z or SIW?

Your mobo is a socket 939. And as Rage above mentioned, you can't upgrade to an AM2 / AM2+ processors like the Phenom 9600. You'll also have to change your motherboard. I suggest you look into the AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE if you do change the board. Its just slightly more expensive than the 9600 but should be a better performer from what I can see. A lot of people here seem to like it.

As for the board I suggest you look into Gigabyte/ ASUS. Since you don't mention what you'll be using the computer for, I'm not specifying any chipset.

And for your RAM, 2 - 4 Gigs is good to go...

Let us know what works out for you. :)

if you really have to stick with your 939, you could get on ebay and find an athlon 64 x2 6000

an am2 working in a 939 motherboard? ....well ya learn something new every day... i didn't know that!

Ok This is my second computer and the first computer I ever built. I play some small games on it, burn movies and download lots of things. I would like to turn it Into more of a computer that I can play higher end games on.

Now if I was to get a whole new motherboard, would I have to get all new RAM and stuff like that? Should I look into getting the x3 prosseor?

Hi Hihihigood,

the X3 720 works with both AM2+ and AM3 motherboards. If you get AM2+ boards only DDR2 RAM will be supported. On AM3 mobos, only DDR3 RAM will be supported. The X3 720 is capable of using both DDR2 and DDR3.

Now the choice between AM2+ and AM3 is yours.

OK, I promised never to post in an AMD thread ON topic. but, if you go to your motherboard's website, they should have a page with a CPU compatibility chart, which will also tell you which version of the BIOS must with each CPU.

Oh well, that's a general statement anyway, so I haven't really gone back on my word.

I agree. The X3 720 trounces the 9600 and is a fantastic bang-for-buck chip right now.
Hihihigood,
I agree with Ritwik, i am using an Phenom II x3 720 and its really a tremendous cpu both in performance and price/performance. here are a couple of reviews, note it running frame for frame with a i7 920 . its a BE edition (unlocked multiplier) and clocks up to3.7- 3.8 Ghz easily
http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...810_am3/17.htm
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...=296&Itemid=63
thats my 2 cents worth.
I agree too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back