Shut off power during System Restore

Hey, thanks for reading my post:
I accidentally shut off my power during a system restore on my laptop (the battery fell out). I'm running Window's Vista on my Dell Inspiron 1545. I received this laptop as a hand-me-down from my mother, therefore, I have no boot disks. Even more, if I try to enter Setup (by hitting F2), nothing happens. The computer powers up, then goes to the black loading screen and keeps "working".
Please let me know of any solutions!

Ah, so this is why Windows is always so insistent that you plug your laptop into a wall outlet while performing a system restore.

While spamming F2 immediately after hitting the power button, are you using the laptop's built in keyboard or an external one? Also, I once had a similar issue simply because I wasn't hitting the F2 key fast enough or long enough. (lol)

BIOS aside, if you can get to the "last known good configuration" menu option, then it might fix your issue.

I was in-between classes when I decide to do a system restore because my comp wasn't working like it had been.
Yes, I am repeatedly hitting F2 on the built-in keyboard, although, one thing I failed to mention, the keyboard is set up so that it requires you to use the Function key in order to get to the F keys.

hm ... Perhaps connect a friend's external keyboard, turn it on, and spam the F2 key on the external keyboard. If that works, then you might be able to boot from the last known good configuration.

Back