Side-by-side configuration is incorrect

Shameimaru

Hi , I am using Autodesk 3ds Max 2011 but after I installed it , I opened it and it had appeared an error message :
"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."
I had referred the post "Side-by-side configuration is incorrect."
so this is my event log.
Log Name: Application
Source: SideBySide
Date: 2010-12-31T11:17:51.000
Event ID: 59
Task: N/A
Level: Error
Opcode: N/A
Keyword: Classic
User: N/A
User Name: N/A
Computer: User-PC
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "D:\3ds Max 2011\3dsmax.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_policy.9.0.microsoft.vc90.openmp_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_none_0e9108e3b72e14d4.manifest" on line 0. Invalid Xml syntax.
Please help me :(

Those side by side messages mean you're missing a version of the C++ library

Here's my guess based on your Event Log (and why) (note what i highlighted in red)
Activation context generation failed for "D:\3ds Max 2011\3dsmax.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_policy.9.0.microsoft.vc90.openmp_1fc8b3b9a 1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_none_0e9108e3b72e14d4.manifest"

x86 = You need the x86 version

9.0.30729.4148 = is version 9 which means Visual C++ 2008 (version 8 would have meant Visual C++ 2005)

Try this download first Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)

I think there's also a SP1 version security update you should download after (even if that link works) but let me know

Downloaded and installed the link you gave me but not working still , and I didn't see any SP1 security update.

Rats

NOt sure.. but if not working try the restart. if still a problem, post the latest event log and will try to look again further tomorrow

Oh. one more thought/ thing to try after restart. Run Windows update as well see if it now recommends any c++ updates

Event[0]:
Log Name: Application
Source: SideBySide
Date: 2011-01-01T10:33:53.000
Event ID: 59
Task: N/A
Level: Error
Opcode: N/A
Keyword: Classic
User: N/A
User Name: N/A
Computer: User-PC
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "D:\3ds Max 2011\3dsmax.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_policy.9.0.microsoft.vc90.openmp_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_none_0e9108e3b72e14d4.manifest" on line 0. Invalid Xml syntax.
Here is it , it is definitely the same , and not working even i had restarted

One would think Microsoft (or a vendor like 3ds Max) would make these install problems much easier to solve! But i think that's a whole other topic. Arghh! :mad:

I maybe discovered something else also involved. (Fingers crossed). There's still another variable involved in finding the right combination of variables out all of the different permutations of C++ library download versions MS makes available: library installation may also vary between "ATL" vs "non-ATL" versions

Since ATL doesn't appear in your Event Log message, i think/guessing implies Windows wants the non-ATL version of C++ 2008 SP1. Try this next Description of the security update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package: July 28, 2009 (we downloaded the C++ 2008 SP1 ATL version of this last time)
> Scroll down and click on the link under the How to obtain help and support for this security update section on the page
> You'll have to use Internet Explorer to get this download file from MS

ARGHHH... Am running out of ideas :(

But i did find one more variation of the Visual C++ 2008 downloads in the Windows Update Catalog we should try

1. Go to Windows Update Catalog: Copy this URL into IE http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx
  2. Enter KB973924 in Search box. Click Search
  3. You should see my example image below
    > Click the Add button for Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (KB973924)
    > You should now see "view basket(1)" under that Search box. Click on the basket icon
    > The Window should now display a Download button. Download and install this update
  4. Then do a reboot

Hoping for the best...

fullscreencapture132011.jpg

I am really sorry , but it doesn't work for me still...

I'm not really certain why the problem either. :( On the one hand, i'm not certainly not a Side by Side problem "expert", but I have managed to help solve some of these problems in the past.

Let me ask
1. What version of Windows are you running and what Service Pack level installed?
2. Are you running 32 or 64 bit Windows? Click for how check

Your Event Log entries both say Acrchitecture=x86 and version 9.0.30729.4148, which still i think points to
> Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86
> Plus its Security Update

If you look in Control Panedl->Add/Remove Programs (for XP) or Programs and Features (for Vista and Win7) you should see the Microsoft Visual C++ installations currently on your machine.

Here's an example from my Windows 7 32-bit machine (which means x86 architecture). Note the 3 Visual C++ 2008 entries. Do you have 3 c++ 2008 entries also? Same names and versions? Could you provide a screen shot of what you see?
c6087112.jpg

/* EDIT */
In addition (if XP) to see version #, select the entry, then you'll see and click on Click for Support Information

I'm sorry but this one has me stumped :( :confused: :confused:

I've followed my usual approach (which seems to usually work)
> We've check the architecture and version # in Event Log
> Download the different c++ 2008 installations for your case
> Your installation list does include the two v9.0.30729.4148 installations i was looking for

That said, i looked back at your first post and noticed you're running Autodesk 3ds Max 2011. Don;t think any of the other SxS posts were about the 2011 version. Maybe their latest version has also its own new bugs?

Have you checked Autodesk support site? I saw there are several hotfixes there including a service pack 1 specific to the 2011 release. Otherwise, think you're best to try Autodesk help as it would just be wild guesses at this point on my part :(

Do you have the SP1 updated installed yet. i don't that Autodesk app at all butu usually clicking Help->About shows what version's installed.

There's also a community forum on the Autodesk site. you might also try posting for help there from other autodesk users

Back