Skype began really dominating international calls in 2010

Emil

Staff

Skype is now by far the largest provider of international voice-based communications. Skype's growth rate outpaced that of international phone traffic in 2009. It further skyrocketed in 2010, growing by 45 billion minutes, according to research firm TeleGeography. To put that into perspective, as you can see in the chart below, that is more than twice the volume added by all the world's phone companies combined.

Growth in international call traffic grew by an estimated 4 percent in 2010 to 413 billion minutes. While it's still a positive number, the growth rate is down from a 5 percent rate in 2009 and even more so from the 15 percent average growth rate in the previous two decades. Less frequent international calls may be in part due to the recent recession, which would have affected both business and personal communication. Skype is not, however, following this trend: the service has seen massive growth, particularly in the last two years.

We all know how popular Skype is and that millions rely on it every day; one doesn't have to look further than the recent outage to measure the importance of the VOIP service. That being said, the data above really outlines Skype's continuous dominance and recent growth.

"Demand for international communications remains strong," TeleGeography analyst Stephan Beckert said in a statement. "But ever more people are discovering that they can communicate without the services of a telco."

Permalink to story.

Duhhhh.....

Have you seen the International rates that AT&T and other big companies charges now days?? You have to take out a second mortgage just to dial a number.

I hope Skype stays around for a long, long time. Skype helps the members of my family stay in touch constantly even though we are spread over 3 different countries.

skype ?! LOL now thats something i haven't heard for years, people still use that, thats what the hell :)

and at&t ? i assumes they long out of business by now :) guys why would anyone one any of those services, there are alternatives in north america and europe now for over a decade, my mobile company is cheaper now then skype :) and for land line there is always gazillion of VOIP providers witch cost fraction of skype and even have local phone numbers for near nothing and nothing, its insane that people are still so behind the times :)

Sorry but the picture says Skype-to-Skype... Haven't noticed that I have to pay for that. :O

shame that here in Dubai they still block calls to landlines and every once in a while block the skype-skype traffic as well!

Only one problem with Skype. Calling itself is the obsolete way to communicate

Back