Slow internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetherynn

A few days ago my interent connection became real slow i mean like 5m to load the google.com main page, did virus/malware/spyware check all came back clean, tried sys restore but it didnt work(as usaul) tried updating drivers and all still no go, the odd thing is that i play wow and ffxi which to my surprise runs just fine no lag or anything, what am i missing? ?? i cant think of another thing to do, i havent d/l or installed anything in the last few months so i dont think its a software problem and my other computer that runs on the same router is just fine which tells me its prolly not the router or modem, whatever you guys can think of i would appreciate it ty in adavance!

Well, you've eliminated quite a few possibilities:

1. Games don't lag> r/o heat and RAM
2. Other system on same router don't lag so not likely the ISP
3. No new installs- that you know of!
4. Specific to this computer- definite start date, not fixed by system restore.
5. You mention slow to load home page> have you added any processes to the Startup?

Take a look and see what's starting on boot:
Start> Run> type in msconfig> enter> Selective Startup> Startup Menu> UNCHECK everything EXCEPT the AV, third party firewall if you have one and touchpad for laptop if on laptop.
Apply> OK.

Reboot the computer. NOTE: you will get a nag message on first boot after making the changes. Ignore and close after checking 'don't show this message again.' Stay in Selective Startup.

While you're got the Startup menu up, see if there are any processes checked that you don't recognize. If there are, do a Google search to identify.

Let me know.

Sounds like your winsock service is corrupted. Geez, haven't had this problem in a long time!

BTW, you sound pretty computer saavy! You did a lot of the common troubleshooting techniques and obviously understand a lot! I'm getting tired so I'll leave it to you to look up how to repair your winsock service. Try Microsoft Support KB first, failing that, do a Google for winsock repair. I'm tired and can't remember offhand it's been quite a while!

-- Andy

Well, you've eliminated quite a few possibilities:

1. Games don't lag> r/o heat and RAM
2. Other system on same router don't lag so not likely the ISP
3. No new installs- that you know of!
4. Specific to this computer- definite start date, not fixed by system restore.
5. You mention slow to load home page> have you added any processes to the Startup?

Take a look and see what's starting on boot:
Start> Run> type in msconfig> enter> Selective Startup> Startup Menu> UNCHECK everything EXCEPT the AV, third party firewall if you have one and touchpad for laptop if on laptop.
Apply> OK.

Reboot the computer. NOTE: you will get a nag message on first boot after making the changes. Ignore and close after checking 'don't show this message again.' Stay in Selective Startup.

While you're got the Startup menu up, see if there are any processes checked that you don't recognize. If there are, do a Google search to identify.

Let me know.

Well it is currently running in selected startup, nothing there i dont recognize, alot of processes, though most of them are microsoft, the few that aren't, seem to be for other programs(AV, video, sound)

Okay, go back into the Startup menu and:
Apply> OK.
Stay in Selective Startup. See if that makes any significant difference in the 'speed'. Remember- everything that starts on boot runs in the background.

Your problem is unique in that you don't experience the problem while playing the games. But since the startup loading is slow, removing all but the essential entries I mentioned might help.

BTW, you don't have to quote the reply. It puts a lot in my mailbox when I get notice of reply. I usually try to number suggestions so the numbers an be used without the full input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back