Smart speakers haven't found their true calling yet

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Smart speakers aren't being fully utilized as companies like Amazon initially intended. Instead, they're repurposing online content and using convenience to sell the experience. It's not a bad way to sell hardware and grow the install base. A sharper focus on voice shopping can came later.

When Amazon introduced its first Echo smart speaker more than four years ago, I described the cylindrical gadget as a “peculiar” product that liberates virtual assistants from the smartphones and tablets they’d traditionally been trapped in.

You can use voice commands to pull off all sorts of tasks. In addition to music playback, Echo can get the news, answer general knowledge questions, create to-do lists, set timers, set alarms, tell jokes and more.

Indeed, as 2019 rapidly approaches, this is exactly how most people are using their smart speakers. Or as Recode accurately labels it, we’re just repurposing online content for our ears. These use cases have helped to sell a lot of smart speakers – according to one survey, nearly half of all US consumers may own a smart speaker by 2019 – but they’re not yet fulfilling the original vision that many had for them.

As I wrote in 2014:

A product like Echo seems to make better use of such technology although I suspect Amazon will ultimately end up pushing it as a voice assistant to help you order products from its site. You've heard of one-click ordering; well, Echo would enable no-click ordering. Just tell it what you want and it'll be on the way. But of course, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Through early August, only around two percent of people with Alexa-powered devices have made purchases with their voice this year. According to a survey from Voicebot in May, less than one percent of Americans said they prefer to shop using a smart speaker.

As Micah Collins, director of product management and hardware at Google correctly points out, shopping is predominantly a visual and tactile experience.

Even though it’s still early days for voice shopping, don’t be fooled into thinking it has no future. The method could prove to be even more lucrative for brands than traditional shopping methods, especially considering that 85 percent of consumers who have made a voice-assisted purchase bought the first option presented.

Permalink to story.

How good is it at searching for a good variety of reviews across multiple sites and filtering that down into something I can then say "Buy that" ?
I might buy some milk and bread with it or a new book but any other type of purchase requires too much research to throw a random voice shopping command at the Echo. Also it would be only shopping on Amazon websites.
I'm still looking forward to ads (on radio, TV, phones or websites) sending inaudible voice shopping commands to any nearby smart speakers.

How good is it at searching for a good variety of reviews across multiple sites and filtering that down into something I can then say "Buy that" ?
I might buy some milk and bread with it or a new book but any other type of purchase requires too much research to throw a random voice shopping command at the Echo. Also it would be only shopping on Amazon websites.
I'm still looking forward to ads (on radio, TV, phones or websites) sending inaudible voice shopping commands to any nearby smart speakers.
I bet Alexa would refuse to search a site other than crApazon.

I would have thought it's been obvious all along that:-

1. Smart-speakers designed by a single store-front will try and lock you into that store-front by default. Using a phone / tablet / PC doesn't.

2. Amazon still can't even get its listing / reviews right for selected product without over-combining / mixing up reviews with completely unrelated products, so the mere thought of buying anything on Amazon "blind" is hilarious. Try something simple like "Asus monitor" and you'll get reviews from 21" 1080p to 32" 4K, TN, VA & IPS alike, all mixed together in one block of "reviews" for the one product you selected...

3. For grocery shopping, most people like to buy dozens of items of once and get the weekly shop out of way in one go, not place 100x micro-orders per week, each counted as one order with its own delivery that turns bank statments into a wall of spam and makes it harder to control delivery times.

4. The fact screens have been added to "smart speakers" shows that they were just "solution looking for a problem" glorified screen-less tablets all along. LOL at anyone who thinks that's some radical "game-changer" because they can shop with their eyes closed...

As for "we didn't expect people to mostly use smart speakers just to listen to music", what the hell did people think "speakers" were designed for in the first place?... :joy:

And here I thought that their 'true calling' was to end up quickly in the local garbage dump!

Back