Smart speakers set to overtake tablets by 2021

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: Remember when smart speakers first arrived and many thought them pointless devices that would quickly die out? Today, it appears the doubters are being proved wrong. According to a new report, their install base is set to grow 82.4 percent this year, reaching over 200 million by the end of 2019.

Market analyst firm Canalys reports that after ending 2017 with 114 million active units, the number of smart speakers will increase to 207 million devices by the end of this year. Most of this astronomical growth will come from East Asian markets, particularly China, where YoY growth is estimated at 166 percent—and that’s despite a lack of presence from Amazon and Google. The Tmall Genie is the country’s most popular speaker, followed by the Xiao Ai and DuerOS.

The US is expected to remain the leader when it comes to most active smart speaker devices, accounting for 42.2 percent of the global install base before 2019 is out.

Several tech industries, including traditional PCs and tablets, are shrinking. As smart speaker sales increase, Canalys expects them to overtake tablets by 2021, at which point their install base will be over 400 million. Additionally, the AI-powered devices are set to surpass wearables, a segment that is showing growth, as soon as this year.

“Smart assistants are becoming a conduit to offer services, such as assisted living, healthcare and government services," said Jason Low, senior analyst at Canalys. "Vendors want smart assistants to be the default option for channeling vital information and communication duties for the masses, allowing for new service integration, such as digital health and assisted living. Extended technology players in the fields of security, finance, health, data analytics and others should be on the lookout for new opportunities arising from this trend," he added.

Permalink to story.

I remember when people used to say how "they'd never let the government put chips in them or their children".

Fast Forward to present: everyone walks around with an addictive electronic leash that literally lets "them" know where you are at any time of the day...and coupled to street mounted face detection cameras allows "them" to find you instantly.

Buying a smart speaker is the equivalent of John Gotti buying a wiretap from the FBI and personally installing it in his favorite restaurant, basement, bedroom and bathroom - and then buying them a 10000 TB recording HDD.

The scariest thing to me is how not only are they "convincing" us to install this stuff in our homes, but how they convince us to violate our own privacy.

And what's amazing is it wasn't even a week ago that we find out that Amazon workers are listening in on our conversations.

I mean they TOLD US on the news that we are being listened to...

There is no "tin foil hat" here.

They TOLD US this is happening.

I wouldn't buy a smart speaker if Jesus himself gave me a discount on them and made them only cost $5.

I'd take em and sell them to people dumb enough to install them.

Last edited:
Not really sure I see the correlation tablets vs. speakers.
Feels to me like tablets vs. toilet paper, I can bet toilet paper does have a pretty decent market share compared to tablets.

You can't replace a tablet with a speaker, so what is the point?

Back