Smartphone usage soars by 193% in one year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

AdMob's February 2010 mobile analysis shows a substantial increase in smartphone and MID activity. Smartphone usage reportedly grew 193% from last year, representing 48% of AdMob's global traffic. Mobile Internet device traffic increased by 403% to account for 17% of all activity in AdMob's network, and Apple's iPod Touch was responsible for 93% of that surge.

Meanwhile, as users switched to smartphones, feature phones fell from 58% to 35% of the firm's worldwide traffic. Although their overall share of AdMob's network declined, traffic from feature phones actually rose by 31% -- they were simply outpaced by other device categories.

During February, the iPhone OS increased its share from 33% to 50%, while Android trailed with 24%, Symbian held 18%, RIM took 4%, and Windows Mobile claimed only 2%. Despite taking second place, Android was the fastest growing OS in the AdMob network, rising from only 2% a year ago.

Samsung had the largest manufacturer share at 32%, followed by Nokia with 24%, Sony Ericsson with 12%, and Motorola at 10%. Over 50% of the 14-plus billion ad requests came from the US, 5.9% were from India, 4.2% from the UK, 3.7% from Indonesia, 2.9% from Canada, 2.1% from France, and less than 2% were from Japan, Mexico, South Africa, and the Philippines.

Permalink to story.

I think a lot of people get a new phone every two years or so. With smartphones being cheaper and cheaper at contract renewal time, I think its just a natural progression of things.

I believe that 193% is true. Almost all of the people i know who have bought a phone bought one with a touchscreen and the trend will most like continue for a very long time. I'm also thinking of buying a new phone to replace my very old one.

I'll believe that. The trend is mobile computing, and some of these smart phones have more oomph than my 5 yr old laptop :p.

We at Symbian are thrilled to see the growth of smartphone traffic, and are eager to support that growth across all devices as we continue to show momentum in the US and beyond.

Globally, Symbian owns more than 50 percent market share of operating systems and is growing at 20 percent a year. In a January 2010 report issued by IDC, Symbian is expected to retain its leadership position, a stark contrast to AdMob's report: http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS22176610.

With the highly competitive Symbian^3 devices due to enter the US market as early as Q3 of 2010, Symbian’s presence in the states is growing and anticipates a significant increase in AdMob’s relevant shares moving forward.

Andrea Heuer for Symbian Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back