Socket type

JamesPromIII

TS Rookie
Why is that? It's not for me it's for my mom and she keeps complaining how slow here laptop is. I got her some memory but want to upgrade her cpu for her.

EDO219

TS Rookie
Laptop processors are such a pain to switch. x_x

Although, I'm quite confused as to which processor the computer has. If you have access to her PC, then go ahead and download CPU-Z. Upon running the program, what does it say after the label "Specification"?

hellokitty[hk]

Hello, nice to meet you!
Why?
Because it's a hassle, and it's really hard to do.
Go defrag and clean up the startup instead...the CPU won't help much.

EDO219

TS Rookie
It looks like the current CPU is an Intel Celeron M Processor 350 ... 1.3 GHz single core.

The most powerful possible upgrade is an Intel Celeron M Processor 390 ... 1.7 GHz single core.

I hate to kill your altruistic ambition, mate, but doing this upgrade would make almost no difference in performance. The $40 price tag and difficult installation don't help matters either. Do you have the CDs to reinstall Windows? Re-formatting the HDD and doing a fresh install of Windows XP would do so much more for performance than installing a new CPU. Just this weekend I performed a fresh installation of Windows 2000 SE on a 12 year-old machine and now it is seriously faster than most new netbooks. haha

If you don't have the Windows installation CDs, then take HelloKitty's advice and you'll still notice a nice improvement in performance. Basically get rid of any unnecessary programs and browser add-ons, delete pointless files via disk clean-up, and finally run Disk Defragmenter.