Solution: Reboot and select proper boot device

I'm new to the forum and I have just recently been able to solve an issue with the boot error "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device" for Windows 7

I found a walkthrough somewhere that helped me solve my exact issue.
If you're getting this error and you have tried all of the above (which includes, but not limited to, CMOS clear, checking IDE cables, master/slave or cable select jumper settings, boot order in BIOS) then it's most likely a bad boot controller(?).

So to begin with, you're going to need a recovery disc (Windows 7/Vista/XP installation disc and boot into setup. I dont think it matters which one as long as you can get to the command prompt).

Once in, navigate and find the Repair option, and then choose Command Prompt.

We'll first make the partition ACTIVE by using DISKPART:
1. Enter in command prompt:
DISKPART

2. List all disks
LIST disk

3. Select which disk to use
SELECT disk # <--where # is 0 through n depending on what drive you want

4. List the partitions on the disk
LIST partition

5. Select which partition to use
SELECT partition #

6. Make the partition ACTIVE
ACTIVE

7. Exit out of DISKPART
EXIT

Now we move on to the main part.

1. Delete original bcd file (it's probably not there if you're getting this error but go ahead and do it anyways)
del C:\boot\bcd

2. Recreate the boot directory
md C:\boot

3. Create a new temporary bcd file
bcdedit /createstore C:\boot\bcd.temp

4. Add an entry
bcdedit /store C:\boot\bcd.temp /create {bootmgr} /d "Windows Boot Manager"

5. Import the bcd file
bcdedit /import C:\boot\bcd.temp

6. These commands set the temp file in place...
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device partition=C:
bcdedit /timeout 10

7. Delete the temp file
del C:\boot\bcd.temp

8. Add an entry
bcdedit /create /d "Windows 7" /application osloader <--in case of Win7

9. Something like this should come up:
The entry {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} was successfully created.

Where {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} would be the GUID that was created in your command prompt. Do not use this specific value!
Note: Use the copy/paste feature of command prompt to make your lives easier.
Right click the command prompt and select "Mark" and then highlight the text you want using left click, and then right click on the highlighted section. It should now be copied to the clipboard. To paste, right click next to the text cursor and it should paste, or else just right click the prompt and choose paste.

10. The next list of commands sets things in place (i think lol)
bcdedit /set {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} device partition=C:
bcdedit /set {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} osdevice partition=C:
bcdedit /set {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
bcdedit /set {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008} systemroot \Windows

11. Tell windows to boot the new entry by default
bcdedit /displayorder {c0dfc4fa-cb21-11dc-81bf-005056c00008}

12. Exit and reboot. You're not done! You'll notice if you boot up again you get "Bootmgr is missing." You need to go back to the recovery disc and go into repair mode. Allow the disc to automatically repair the boot problems, and then reboot.

It should be fixed!

Source:
...I don't have a post count greater than 5 so I can't post the link...but I do have the link if you need it.

Ah i forgot to mention that i have also tried this method and it did nothing.

This method that I posted is a sort of second-to-last resort after everything has been tried. Of course, the very last resort would be reformatting the hard drive since that seems to be a surefire way to fix it (from what I have found through multiple cases).

Back