Some DirectX 12 features will require next-gen graphics hardware

Scorpus

Staff member

directx microsoft gpu graphics card direct3d directx 12

Earlier in the week, at the Game Developers Conference, Microsoft unveiled DirectX 12, the next version of the company's widely-used graphics API. One major feature of DirectX 12 is lower-level abstraction; that is, game developers will have better access to graphics hardware with improved utilization of the CPU. This feature will be available across nearly all current-generation GPUs from both AMD and Nvidia.

However DirectX 12 isn't just a one trick pony. To get the full array of features that will come with the new API, you'll need new graphics hardware, just like with previous DirectX iterations. Two features for new hardware that have been revealed are new blend modes and conservative rasterization, but according to Microsoft, there's still a few more features to be revealed.

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes game developers to implement the features of DirectX 12 that require new hardware. DirectX 11 was released alongside Windows 7 back in 2009, but it took several years for the API level to see widespread inclusion in PC games. This could be due to the lack of DirectX 11 support in consoles of the time, which won't be a factor this time around as the Xbox One will support DirectX 12.

A preview of DirectX 12 will be released later this year, when all the features of the API will come to light. Games using DirectX 12 are still quite some time away though, with Microsoft estimating that we'll first see it in holiday-season games in 2015.

Permalink to story.

I don't think this surprises anyone. You've always needed a graphics card with the instruction set build onto the chip in order to run them. I was thinking about picking up another GTX 680, but I'll just save the money until DX12 hardware comes out.

If DX12 requires next-gen hardware I am guessing Xbox one and PS4 is out of the picture then.
As per the article...
This could be due to the lack of DirectX 11 support in consoles of the time, which won't be a factor this time around as the Xbox One will support DirectX 12.

If DX12 requires next-gen hardware I am guessing Xbox one and PS4 is out of the picture then.
As per the article...
This could be due to the lack of DirectX 11 support in consoles of the time, which won't be a factor this time around as the Xbox One will support DirectX 12.
Well it does look like a fair number of current cards will support DX 12 in part. So you will be able to play DX 12 games but not utilise all of the features.

As per the article...

Does 7000 series card support dx12 already??? Jesus its a bit early aint it....

Well it does look like a fair number of current cards will support DX 12 in part. So you will be able to play DX 12 games but not utilise all of the features.

Aint it that games need to be made with the chip for dx or whatever it is as I remember card makers were literally like "It is impossible to put a new dx version on a card already shipped out."

"This could be due to the lack of DirectX 11 support in consoles of the time, which won't be a factor this time around as the Xbox One will support DirectX 12."

Sony PS uses OpenGL, not DX.

Phil spencer has confirmed on twitter that the xbox one fully support directs 12.... Just saying:)

Any guess?

Phil spencer has confirmed on twitter that the xbox one fully support directs 12.... Just saying:)

Any guess?

Ah so its not hardware limited then, so microsoft lied.

"This could be due to the lack of DirectX 11 support in consoles of the time, which won't be a factor this time around as the Xbox One will support DirectX 12."

Sony PS uses OpenGL, not DX.

PS4 Also uses Mantle lets not forget that and they dont use DX because well its MS related and we all know microsoft arent exactly trying to help the gaming community now are they?

Ah so its not hardware limited then, so microsoft lied.

PS4 Also uses Mantle lets not forget that and they dont use DX because well its MS related and we all know microsoft arent exactly trying to help the gaming community now are they?

Neither console uses Mantle, and they never will. Mantle wasn't designed for consoles.

Or maybe, just maybe, xbox one has hardware support. they have been working on directx12 for 4 years after all

No it does not, only openGL as far as I know. Mantle is strictly for the desktop party.

They have announced what cards are compatible with it, so its going to be interesting to see what features are (If any) are locked out of the compatible cards list.

Or maybe, just maybe, xbox one has hardware support. they have been working on directx12 for 4 years after all

Thats extremely unlikely!

*sigh*
"One major feature of DirectX 12 is lower-level abstraction; that is, game developers will have better access to graphics hardware with improved utilization of the CPU. THIS FEATURE will be available across nearly all CURRENT-GENERATION GPUs from both AMD and Nvidia."

*sigh*
"One major feature of DirectX 12 is lower-level abstraction; that is, game developers will have better access to graphics hardware with improved utilization of the CPU. THIS FEATURE will be available across nearly all CURRENT-GENERATION GPUs from both AMD and Nvidia."

So explain why dx12 wont be on xp/vista and consoles as well as old gpus again?

mantle still has the advantage here because it currently targets only 1 type of hardware and it's already out. I don't expect dx12 to offer anything other than modest <10% gains vs dx11
Are we also comparing Mantle (thats out now) to DX11, and does it have >10% gains?
So explain why dx12 wont be on xp/vista and consoles as well as old gpus again?
Correct me if I am wrong, but Mantle doesn't work on old GPU's either. As for the old OS's, seriously lets move on. Even I know that one day I will have to except the fact that Win7 is now considered dead to MS.
"DirectX 12 will do in 18 months what Mantle does now"

Only better! That tells me that Mantle (AMD only) will be completely replaced by DX12 (not AMD only) on Windows platform.

Are we also comparing Mantle (thats out now) to DX11, and does it have >10% gains?

Correct me if I am wrong, but Mantle doesn't work on old GPU's either. As for the old OS's, seriously lets move on. Even I know that one day I will have to except the fact that Win7 is now considered dead to MS.

"DirectX 12 will do in 18 months what Mantle does now"

Only better! That tells me that Mantle (AMD only) will be completely replaced by DX12 (not AMD only) on Windows platform.

Thing is DX works the same way it used to it wont work on old equipment aka cards consoles are using, Mantle does look awesome...

I suppose you are right. MS will find a way to keep DX12 from working with old cards that will support some of the new features, through planned obsolescence. But then explain how Mantle is better in this aspect. Doesn't Mantle require GCN compatibility? That's not a very old standard if so.

Back