Resolved Something has gotten into our home computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some help with our home computer. Last night I accessed something wrong
and somehow a virus or worm has gotten into our home computer. We have McAfee anti-virus
software that came with the newer computer but somehow I screwed it up. The computer is a
Dell Inspiron 620 with Windows 7.0 loaded.

What is happening is I am getting some sort of pop-up window that looks like it is from "Windows" but I think it is a fake. The pop-up window is named "Windows Pro Defence", notice defence is spelled with a "C" and not an "S". Anyway it keeps telling me that our computer is affected with a Trojan worm and some other stuff and that we are at extreme risk. When I hit the "clean up" button, it then asks me for my credit card info and that this is for an upgrade to our present security levels.

I am greatly concerned that I have somehow compromised our system and that I somehow need to get this cleaned up. Not even sure if our McAfee anti-virus software has been disabled or not. Please let me know if you can help.

I would recommend that you follow this instead:
If you would like us to check the system for malware, please follow these steps: Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal.

NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.
============================================
We know our links and programs are good and clean
============================================
I use the WOT Site Advisor. When attempting to check for information on the "fasterpccleaner", I get a Warning- this site has a poor reputation- and the site won't load unless I override the Warning, which I don't.

You may also like to know that Spyhunter has a very checkered past and is not a program I would recommend.

Your logs will be reviewed and the appropriate scans will be recommended. In the meantime, Do NOT use and scans from popups!

Bobbye, I breifly reviewed the steps you posted for me and I have a question regarding Step #1.
We had McAfee Anti-virus software installed when we bought the computer from Dell and it was good
for at least 3 years but I think that this rogue anti-spyware that is on our pc has disabled the McAfee.
Do I need to somehow re-activate it if even possible?

Fred, it is not uncommon for malware to disable security, especially the AV. But what is important is that McAfee has been updating regularly and running on the system.

Windows Pro Defence is a rogue anti-spyware program configured to start automatically when Windows starts. It performs a fake scan and then state that there are numerous infections present. If you attempt to use the program to remove these infections, though, it will state that you first need to purchase it before it can do so. This is a scam as the scan results are all fake, and in many cases, the infected files do not even exist on your computer. Therefore, please ignore the scan results and do not purchase the program.

After I see these preliminary scans, I will give you a protocol I've set up specifically to remove this malware class.

The AV does NOT need to be disabled to run these preliminary scans, but I am not sure what you mean by this:
We have McAfee anti-virus software that came with the newer computer but somehow I screwed it up.

IF you can handle the settings to allow it to run now, you should do that. But it's going to depend on whether you did something to cause whatever is or isn't happening, or whether the malware did.
-------------------------
A Note about the McAfee Proxy: When you go to run DDS, you may get an 'error' message about a Proxy running. If you do, do the following:
  1. Click Start> Run> type services.msc> Enter.
  2. Scroll down to McAfee Proxy> Right-click> Properties.
  3. Once the Service is open> Change Startup Type to Disabled > Stop the Service.
  4. Click on OK
You can reset this when we have finished.

Bobbye,
We have McAfee anti-virus software that came with the newer computer but somehow I screwed it up.​
I think what I meant to say here is that the malware that somehow entere dour computer screwed up the McAfee AV software in a way that it is not doing it's automatic updates anymore or it doesn't seem to be active at all. Not sure how to re-activate the AV software even if I needed to. This whole thing has got me very nervous.

Bobbye,
It looks like I have been overuled by my loving wife. She thinks I can't handle following your simple and concise instructions so we ended up calling a local business to remove the malware and generally clean up the pc. It is all done now. Thank you very much for your initial help and I apologize for any inconvenience I have caused.
(y)

Sorry to hear that! Tell you wife she doesn't get that diamond necklace she wanted because she made you pay to have the system fixed!;)

Thanks for the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back