Solved Something preventing me access internet even though connected

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoyMad

I was troubleshooting a printer scanner problem and did multiple installs and uninstalls and in the process m ight have inadvertantly deleted some important files or installed a virus. Now even though I have internet connection none of the browsers are able to accesss it.
I have run farbar and here are the results are attached.
please help.
thanks a lot

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    56.6 KB · Views: 2
Hello, and welcome to TechSpot.

rulesx.png
Please see here for the board rules and other FAQ.

Please feel free to introduce yourself, after you follow the steps below to get started.

Information
  • From this point on, please do not make any more changes to your computer; such as install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc. - unless advised by a malware removal helper.
  • Please do not ask for help elsewhere (in this site or other sites). Doing so can result in system changes, which may not show up in the logs you post.
  • If you have already asked for help somewhere, please post the link to the topic you were helped.
  • We try our best to reply quickly, but for any reason we do not reply in two days, please reply to this topic with the word BUMP!
  • Lastly, keep in mind that we are volunteers, so you do not have to pay for malware removal. Persist in this topic until its close, and your computer is declared clean.
Please review the 4-Step instructions and post the logs back here for my review.

Also, include this scan:

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Delete.
  • A logfile will automatically open after the scan has finished.
  • Please post the content of that logfile in your reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[Rn].txt as well - n is the order number.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I followed the instructions and uploaded the logfile. Please look at the log file

Attachments

• AdwCleaner[S1].txt
    29.5 KB · Views: 2
Oops sorry I did'nt do that. I am posting the last log from malwarebye that had issues. I did a couple of partial scans after that and they were clean.
thanks so much for your help.

Attachments

• Attach.txt
    293.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DDS.txt
    28.8 KB · Views: 0
  • mbam-log-2013-01-31 (20-36-42).txt
    5 KB · Views: 1
That's fine...

Junkware Removal Tool

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Warning! Once the scan is complete JRT will shut down your browser with NO warning.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Temporarily disable your antivirus and any antispyware real time protection before performing a scan. Click this link to see a list of security programs that should be disabled and how to disable them.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click JRT and select Run as Administrator
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Copy and Paste the JRT.txt log into your next message.

ComboFix scan

Please download ComboFix
combofix.gif
by sUBs
From TechSpot

Direct Link (alternative)

Please save the file to your Desktop.

Important information about ComboFix

After the download:
  • Close any open browsers.
  • Very Important: Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results". Please visit here if you don't know how.
  • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
  • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until ComboFix has completely finished.
  • If there is no Internet connection after running ComboFix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.
Running ComboFix:
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • When ComboFix finishes, it will produce a report for you.
  • Please post the report, which will launch or be found at "C:\Combo-Fix.txt" in your next reply.
Troubleshooting ComboFix

Safe Mode:

If you still cannot get ComboFix to run, try booting into Safe Mode, and run it there.

(To boot into Safe Mode, tap F8 after BIOS, and just before the Windows
logo appears. A list of options will appear, select "Safe Mode.")

Re-downloading:

If this doesn't work either, try the same method (above method), but try to download it again, except name
ComboFix.exe to iexplore.exe, explorer.exe, or winlogon.exe.

Malware is known for blocking all "user" processes, except for its whitelist of system important processes such as iexplore.exe, explorer.exe, winlogon.exe.

NOTE: If you encounter a message "illegal operation attempted on registry key that has been marked for deletion" and no programs will run - please just reboot and that will resolve that error.

Attaching jrt log file. I am running combofix now. first time it got stuck at the generating log screen. I rebooted and am trying again

Attachments

• JRT.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 1
Ok here is the combofix log file. thanks a lot for your help

Attachments

• ComboFix.txt
    34.7 KB · Views: 1
Good work!

ESET Online Scan

Please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the ActiveX control to install, or it will ask to download an installer. Please do so an install it.
  • Click Start or wait for the scanner to load.
  • Make sure that the options Remove found threats and the option Scan unwanted applications are checked.
  • Click Scan (This scan can take several hours, so please be patient)
  • Once the scan is completed, there are a couple of things to keep in mind:
  • 1. If NO threats were found, allow the scanner to Uninstall on close and then close the Window.
  • 2. If threats WERE detected, click on List of Threats Found, Export to Text File...save it as ESET-Scan-Log.txt. Click the back button/link, put a checkmark to Uninstall Application on Close and then close the window.
  • Open the logfile from wherever you saved it
  • Copy and paste the contents in your next reply.

Any more issues?

We need to know any other issues that are plaguing your computer. Kindly give a summary so we know how to continue from here.

Many of the things to note for us would be:

• Slow computer
  • Error messages
  • Fake antivirus alerts or the icon in the system tray
  • svchost.exe running at 100%
  • System crashes or blue screen of death

Note: Absence of issues does not mean that you're protected in the future.

I cant do online scan.... remember the main issue is that I have no internet access on any browser. is there any other way to do this/

Right now I have slow computer after doing all the debugging. I would like to run chkdsk if thats ok. I dont have error messages or any of the other issues you mentioned. One strange thing though- my zone alarm says that the licence expired when it has not. Could that be the culprit? Should I uninstall zonealarm? Zone alarm does not let me do anything at the moment.

I figured the connection issue resolved itself by now. :p

If the license says expired, I would recommend reinstalling it and putting in the new license key.

Press start, then type cmd and hit Enter.

In the command prompt window, press in the following code exactly:

netsh winsock reset catalog

Then, exit out.
==

Do you have Internet after performing the above process?

Oh my. it was the stupid zonealarm issue. I dont know why but suddenly zonealarm had startedto say licence expired and that too right after malware detection. The licence was valid for almost a year. dont know if it was a zonealram issue or malware that caused this. I uninstalled zonealarm out of curiosity and connection resolved itself without having to do the netsh winsock. I usually just read forums and fix things myself but this time I really needed the support. I am going to reinstall zonealarm. thank you so much for your support. Now back to resolving the brother scanner issue :(

Here is the story of my scanner problem- I have brother dcp-7065dn. It used to be connected to the router at home and I could access it from all computers at home. I especially need the scan function to work. A few months ago we got a new router and pc and since then the scanner behaves erratically. it goes into deep sleep (?) and cannot connect to the computer. I could not scan using the scan button on the printer I had to scan using the software on the computer. It only worked only one time after every restart the computer. So I wanted to connect it directly to the computer via USB. I have done multiple uninstall and reinstalls and the scan stalls. It starts scanning and after 1st page says unable to connect or scan.. Now it cant scan using the scan button as well as from the software :-(. I have a feeling that the computer still has the driver for network connection and not the usb connection. I did try to delete registry entries for brother printer and that's when I got into connectivity issues. BTW the computer has slowed down now.

Doesn't make sense that it isn't working in Windows 7.

It is compatible.. :p

Did you visit Windows Update for the renewed driver for the printer? Reset the printer manually?

Does the printer install to the computer, or do you use a digital interface on the printer, or both?

I did reset the printer using the menu on the printer. Is there any other way to reset it? printer works just fine. the scanner diagnostic test is also positive. I got the latest software from brother website and it wont let me change anything because it says I have the latest software. It begins to scan and then it says something is preventing it from scanning. now I am reverting back to the network configuration and it wont even recognize the printer. I cant even print.

I reserved an ip address on the router and hardcoded it into the printer and it wont recognize. I will check is the cable has gone bad.

It finally worked. I got the usb link to work which is what I wanted. The problem was a generic usb printer cable. I replaced the printer cable, uninstalled and installed for the 100th time and it worked. I am too tired to try networking and I dont need it right now. thanks a lot.

Hi there. It all appears to be good, so we will finish up to make sure your computer is protected from malware in the future.

Clean up System Restore

Now, to get you off to a clean start, we will be creating a new Restore Point, then clearing the old ones to make sure you do not get reinfected, in case you need to "restore back."

To manually create a new Restore Point
  • Go to Control Panel and select System and Maintenance
  • Select System
  • On the left select Advanced System Settings and accept the warning if you get one
  • Select System Protection Tab
  • Select Create at the bottom
  • Type in a name I.e. Clean
  • Select Create

Remove tools, temp files, old Restore Points

Please run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, copy and paste in the following:

:files
    ipconfig /flushdns /c

:commands
    [CREATERESTOREPOINT]
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
    [emptyflash]
    [emptytemp]
    [emptyjava]
    [reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top.
  • Note: The fix for OTL sometimes hides your Desktop and Start menu so the cleanup can be completed. Do not be alerted, as this is normal.
  • It may open a log for you, but I don't need that.

To remove all of the tools we used and the files and folders they created do the following:
Double click OTL.exe.
  • Click the CleanUp button.
  • Select Yes when the "Begin cleanup Process?" prompt appears.
  • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
  • The tool will delete itself once it finishes.
Note: If any tool, file or folder (belonging to the program we have used) hasn't been deleted, please delete it manually.

Security Check

Please download Security Check by screen317 from SpywareInfoforum.org or Changelog.fr.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back