Sony announces first "Ready for PlayStation 5" TVs: 120Hz and up to 8K

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? The PS5 is on its way, and Sony wants you to take full advantage of its capabilities by purchasing one of the company’s “Ready for PlayStation 5” TVs. The first two models to carry this designation are already available: the X900H 4K HDR Full Array LED and the Z8H 8K HDR Full Array LED.

The X900H offers 4K resolution, which is becoming standard on most high-end TVs, alongside a 120Hz refresh rate (via a future Bravia firmware update). Sony says it also has a “very low” input lag of 7.2ms. The company does state, however, that: “The input lag is measured with X900H via 4K/120fps game HDMI input based on internal testing conditions, and may differ in real-time usage environment on specific conditions.” The television starts at $999 for the 55-inch model while moving to 85 inches costs $2,799.

Being an 8K set, the Z8H comes with a hefty price tag: it starts at $5,999 for the 75-inch version and reaches a massive $8,999 for the 85-inch model. It’s also capable of 120Hz, but only at 4K, not 8K. How many PlayStation 5 games will actually support the 8K resolution is unknown, but it’s something Sony has promised.

Both TVs feature Bravia Game Mode, which will automatically switch them to their lowest latency setting when PS5 games are being played. It also lets you wake both the television and console simultaneously using the DualShock 5 controller. The mode even allows some control over the PS5 using the television remote. Additionally, both sets come with sound positioning tweeters that allow users to pinpoint exactly where a sound is coming from on the screen.

Many of the PS5-specific features will arrive via firmware updates, presumably before the console hits the market sometime this holiday season. Microsoft's CFO recently said the Xbox Series X was arriving in November, so don’t be surprised to see Sony’s machine launch in the same month. We might even see bundle deals that combine the TVs and PS5 consoles.

Permalink to story.

If Sony are smart they‘ll auto activate these features for XBox, as well.

They could always add something extra for PS4, but switching to the gaming mode should be automatic for all consoles.

Hell .... I got a house with TV and game systems, 5 computer systems, 2 bath, 4 bedrooms .... all for the low price of $2.9 million .... I'll even throw in the appliances and zero-turn mower!

I sure hope these TV's are ready to deal with the speed of the Playstation's SSD drive!!!

(rolls eyes to the back of head).

Marketing at its finest. We will struggle to see 60 FPS @ 4K but they are advertising 8K TVs with 120 Hz.

Marketing at its finest. We will struggle to see 60 FPS @ 4K but they are advertising 8K TVs with 120 Hz.

You ain't wrong, this is for early adopters. People with money to look fancy when in fact they are buyin pointless fancy new stuff, that only uses half its potential in its lifetime if that.
But I hate Sony TV's their Android is so feckin awful. And 8K is beyond whats needed just yet, and these things will just fail hard I reckon until a few years of revisions come out.
Samsung or LG for me thank you.
And Philips are awful. Just throw that in there.

Been using Sony for my last 2 TVs nothing to complain about just that noticed samsung models have some nice features like support for more resolutions (1440p) and VRR that in my opinion seems a godsend for console games that tend to have unstable framerates. Only read that xbox supports it though not sure if gonna be added to ps5

8K/120 is certainly possible if I can play Rocket League at 1080p/60 on an i5 Kaby Lake NUC. There's gotta be some nut out there who'll buy a PS5 & $6K 8K TV just to play RL like that.

Good luck with RDR2, though.

I can do this with my Vizio TV and PS4... I can even wake my PS4 from my remote by switching to its input. It’s a standard feature of HDMI called CEC: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Control
Same with the XB One. There is an option in the menu to turn the TV on and off with the console. Just have to press the Xbox button on the controller.

Not OLED so not interested. Almost certainly getting an LG CX once NVIDIA releases a HDMI 2.1 capable card.

If Sony are smart they‘ll auto activate these features for XBox, as well.

They could always add something extra for PS4, but switching to the gaming mode should be automatic for all consoles.
Don't worry it is they are just using their own name branding for what is known everywhere else as ALLM (or auto low latency mode) basically its all tied to hdmi standards and with 2.1 we get the ability for any device to detect "gameplay" and force the TV to its "game mode".

It will absolutely work with Xbox but they'll never advertise it as such.

Not OLED so not interested. Almost certainly getting an LG CX once NVIDIA releases a HDMI 2.1 capable card.
You ain't wrong, this is for early adopters. People with money to look fancy when in fact they are buyin pointless fancy new stuff, that only uses half its potential in its lifetime if that.
But I hate Sony TV's their Android is so feckin awful. And 8K is beyond whats needed just yet, and these things will just fail hard I reckon until a few years of revisions come out.
Samsung or LG for me thank you.
And Philips are awful. Just throw that in there.
Anyone spending money on a TV today and looking for a good investment (especially from a gaming perspective) should be buying LG OLED.

It's what I've used for 4 years now and currently have the 65" c series as my main display and I legitimately think it's the finest gaming display ever made and nothing else this year will come close.

If it's not full hdmi 2.1 and OLED it's not worth buying.

I agree "seeing" 8k over 4k is going to be hard for most with the exception of the absolute largest of large displays but as far a "seeing" the difference between 60 fps and 120?

Well you absolutely will "see" it but instead of seeing its more of "feeling". You feel the instant response of your inputs you feel the immediate onscreen feedback and the perfect motion of objects on screen with only motion blur that's SUPPOSED to be there and nothing more.

The feeling of 120 fps gaming is literally "game changing" and ever since 9 switched last year I could never go back. I would much prefer to lose resolution amd go lower than 4k than keep it and settle with less than 120 fps.

1440p/120 > 4k/60 EVERY TIME

Though the promise of 4k AND 120 FPS is not lost on me and these jew gpu's on pc actually being able to output that is definitely going to be a nice upgrade from the 1440/120 I've been used to for the past year.

I agree "seeing" 8k over 4k is going to be hard for most with the exception of the absolute largest of large displays but as far a "seeing" the difference between 60 fps and 120?

Well you absolutely will "see" it but instead of seeing its more of "feeling". You feel the instant response of your inputs you feel the immediate onscreen feedback and the perfect motion of objects on screen with only motion blur that's SUPPOSED to be there and nothing more.

The feeling of 120 fps gaming is literally "game changing" and ever since 9 switched last year I could never go back. I would much prefer to lose resolution amd go lower than 4k than keep it and settle with less than 120 fps.

1440p/120 > 4k/60 EVERY TIME

Though the promise of 4k AND 120 FPS is not lost on me and these jew gpu's on pc actually being able to output that is definitely going to be a nice upgrade from the 1440/120 I've been used to for the past year.
Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely agree with you. I’m mostly a pc gamer (I also own a PS4 Pro and an Xbox one until a couple months ago) and I prefer 1080P at high frame rate on my dual 144 Hz monitor setup over 4K.

I’m just saying that PS5 in my opinion will struggle to play 4K at 60 FPS constantly, so the need for an 8K / 120 Hz panel is just marketing.
With freesync like technologies the PS5 could be able to exploit the 120 Hz refresh rate, but 8K resolution is out of the target.

Anyone spending money on a TV today and looking for a good investment (especially from a gaming perspective) should be buying LG OLED.

It's what I've used for 4 years now and currently have the 65" c series as my main display and I legitimately think it's the finest gaming display ever made and nothing else this year will come close.

If it's not full hdmi 2.1 and OLED it's not worth buying.

I got a B6 years ago, absolute dog of a tv. So many issues. Got given a C9 as a replacement. No issues so far.
But that's my whole issue with early adopters. It is for people with too much money, and think new is better. It never ever is. PS5 will probably have glitches in its first revisions, melt etc.

If in UK, John Lewis or Richer sounds (I went Richer). Get your 5 or 6 Year warranty, because you will be lucky (or unlucky actually) if the panel lasts those 5 years. TV longevity sucks compared to much older models. And if you have issues within 5 years, complain til you get a new one, and with it a new 5 year guarantee.

Back