Sony announces neon-colored Vaio C series

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Grab some sunglasses and feast your eyes on Sony's new Vaio C series. The new laptops sport an exclusive orange or green color scheme that Sony hopes will appeal to folks wanting to "show off their creative side." The neon colors would undoubtedly deter some prospective buyers, but Sony plans to offer black, white and pink versions for the less adventurous type. The systems also radiate light through the Vaio logo and around the edges in their shell color.

The C series will come in 14 or 15.5-inch variants with up to a 1080p display. All versions will pack Intel's second-generation Core i5 processors and for a premium price, select models will forgo Sandy Bridge's integrated graphics by adding a discrete Radeon HD 6630 with 1GB of VRAM. Certain configurations will also be outfitted with a Blu-ray player as well as Intel's WiDi 2.0, which lets you wirelessly stream HD video to your TV. No word on RAM or HDD capacities.

Other features include Sony's Remote Keyboard, which allows the Vaio C to enter text, navigate menus and browse the web on the company's PlayStation 3 as well as connected Bravia TVs and Blu-ray players. The press release also notes that systems will come with the Sony Imagination Studio Suite 2 Vaio Edition installed, which includes music and video editing software. Presales of the Vaio C series should kick off on March 13 with pricing starting around $880.

Permalink to story.

Thank God! It's about time! Barbie and Ken have been dying for a laptop that matches their life style! I'd like to be the first to suggest matching dollar store sunglasses free with every lappie.

I hope Sony sees fit to hook them up with a matching "Easy Bake Oven". Oh, and before I forget, maybe some neon plastic roller skates.

Nuthin' like news on the the cutting edge of technology to peak my interest, and get the juices flowin'!. Gotta jet now, time for my nap. Zzzzzzz.....

captaincranky said:
Thank God! It's about time! Barbie and Ken have been dying for a laptop that matches their life style! I'd like to be the first to suggest matching dollar store sunglasses free with every lappie.

I hope Sony sees fit to hook them up with a matching "Easy Bake Oven". Oh, and before I forget, maybe some neon plastic roller skates.

Nuthin' like news on the the cutting edge of technology to peak my interest, and get the juices flowin'!. Gotta jet now, time for my nap. Zzzzzzz.....

You still around cap'n?

Anyway, these are a waste of money.

They are still available in black so no reason to get your trousers in a bunch.

Hate it all you want, but I think more colors is a good thing. These definitely aren't for me, but why not?

but Sony plans to offer black, white and pink versions for the less adventurous type.

It's not that i'm not adventurous, I just don't feel like attracting attention to myself when i'm out in public. I just want a burger and a place to check my mail...not be stared at by everyone who walks by, or make people think there's road work ahead, or make people think the traffic light is green.
And how the hell is pink not adventurous? It may not be neon like the orange and green, but it's still an attention getter.

It's all about having choices. Not everyone likes black or gray colored laptops. What matters is the stuff under the hood and from the limited information available from Sony i.e. Sandy Bridge CPUs with optional mid-range ATI discrete graphics, I'd say their specs are pretty decent, neon color or not.

Back