Sony Game Boost trailer suggests more older games will receive PS5 improvements

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Sony has released a short trailer showing off the PS5’s Game Boost feature. Not only does it show snippets of some PS4 games, including Shadow of the Colossus, that are enhanced for the PS5, it also reveals a new Game Boost logo.

The PlayStation 5 is backward compatible with most PlayStation 4 games, and Game Boost offers improvements such as higher framerates, resolutions, and HDR support—more so than what the PS4 Pro is capable of. Some of the games that take advantage of the feature include Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone, and God of War.

The end of the video shows Sony’s new Game Boost logo. Presumably, the Japanese firm will add it to the boxes of games that utilize the feature, much like Microsoft does with its Smart Delivery and Optimized for Series X logos.

The promo trailer shows off the revamped God of War and Ghost of Tsushima. It also reveals a game that hasn’t yet received an update to enable Game Boost: Shadow of the Colossus. Hopefully, this means more PS4 titles will soon be updated to run at 60fps/high resolutions. Bloodborne and Horizon Zero Dawn would undoubtedly be welcome additions.

Microsoft has put more focus on improving previous-gen games’ performance on its latest consoles than Sony, possibly due to the former having fewer exclusive titles for the Xbox Series X/S. Its FPS Boost can nearly double the original framerate on some older titles, reaching 120 fps in certain cases.

Permalink to story.

They do have more new games than Xbox, but I would expect most of the big developers to start releasing a lot more console games (both PS5 and Xbox) at the end of next year.
Yeah, MS has like one XSS/XSX-only game in offer, so Sony with its three PS5 exclusives released so far technically wins :p

Backwards compatibility with the ps4 is one of the big reasons I bought a ps5. My old ps4 disk drive failed so I waited for the ps5. Very happy to see some of my favorite titles are playing much better on the ps5 and I'm hopeful Sony will soon offer something similar to gamepass, which is one of the main reasons I plan to get a series X when they are more readily available. I was trying to get a series X and accidentally bought the S online, which I ended up keeping and giving to my daughter because my son is always on the One S. Gamepass that has been great for the kids and now that they each have their own xbox they can play online with their friends during the plague. I refuse to let them use my One X because I use it for my games on disc and watching blu-ray discs.

For newcomers to the platform, it's a fantastic time to get on board and play some of Sony's great first party titles, many of which come with the PS Plus collection, and some of which are already updated for PS5.

I'm with some of the other commentators here though - the platform needs new games and content. Xbox Game Pass has a wealth of free content, and is more likely to encourage gamers to try out all kinds of new stuff. Originality could flourish there and attract gamers away from PSN over time.

Yeah, when it comes to new content and releasing a console generation in the middle of a pandemic and shortages in parts across multiple industries, I kinda wish they hadn't. For the developers that haven't sold themselves out to pay to win and loot box gaming schemes, the work from home initiatives are no doubt hampering production. There is just so many fronts on which the AAA gaming industry is getting hammered on by this point. Console generation defining games are probably just going to get more rare. We can't do much about it as long as microtransaction scams continue. But hopefully when remote collaboration (which is starting to sound like an oxymoron at this point) is over and people get back into office spaces, hopefully we can see some good progress on some good games.

Bloodborne will get a proper remake, not just a Boost. It's clear at this point, otherwise the rumors last year would have materialized in the said boost patch already. After they saw the success of Demon's Souls remake they know they can do even better with a Bloodborne remake. At this point after so much time I would gladly buy it for the PS5.

HZD will get it's boost patch closer to HFW launch to hype the 2nd game even more and generate more sales.

A win is a win :) The PC is still king though. PC Master Race FTW!

Well as an owner of a very high end pc and one who's been gaming on pc for decades I still have consoles.

Consoles "win" for a number of different reasons over pc just like pc wins over console for another whole set of OTHER reasons.

It's almost like if you ACTUALLY care about gaming and want "the best" you truly can't say you have it unless you're on all of them.

Try to build me a pc that for $399 delivers ANYTHING close to what a ps5 can?

Give me a rig that can play every critical and consumer "must play" every year?

Show me a pc that can be unboxed in 5 min and playing games at their absolute best on that hardware without any thinking or fuss?

PC is great it's my platform of choice in almost all scenarios but that DOESN'T mean the consoles in my home don't have a very good reason for being there.

Ignoring what consoles offer and proclaiming "pc master race" is the definition of putting on blinders / owner bias.

You may not be ABLE to own them all and that's understandable but to write them off strictly cause they are "inferior" is to speak only from a bias perspective.

I love games (not platforms) and I'll go wherever the best experiences are to be had my passion is in enjoying games not enlisting in brand / platform alliance (aka cult).

Would I love a world of one platform to rule them all? Sure.... Who wouldn't WANT the option? But reality is you either miss out in one way or another or you partake in all of them.

Well as an owner of a very high end pc and one who's been gaming on pc for decades I still have consoles.

Consoles "win" for a number of different reasons over pc just like pc wins over console for another whole set of OTHER reasons.

It's almost like if you ACTUALLY care about gaming and want "the best" you truly can't say you have it unless you're on all of them.

Try to build me a pc that for $399 delivers ANYTHING close to what a ps5 can?

Give me a rig that can play every critical and consumer "must play" every year?

Show me a pc that can be unboxed in 5 min and playing games at their absolute best on that hardware without any thinking or fuss?

PC is great it's my platform of choice in almost all scenarios but that DOESN'T mean the consoles in my home don't have a very good reason for being there.

Ignoring what consoles offer and proclaiming "pc master race" is the definition of putting on blinders / owner bias.

You may not be ABLE to own them all and that's understandable but to write them off strictly cause they are "inferior" is to speak only from a bias perspective.

I love games (not platforms) and I'll go wherever the best experiences are to be had my passion is in enjoying games not enlisting in brand / platform alliance (aka cult).

Would I love a world of one platform to rule them all? Sure.... Who wouldn't WANT the option? But reality is you either miss out in one way or another or you partake in all of them.
A non-believer! Console peasant begone! The only true religion is the PC Master Race! Long live our Lord and Savior Gaben!

gaben.png

Imagine complaining PS5 has no games but you were enough of a pleb brainlet to buy one early.

Imagine complaining PS5 has no games but you were enough of a pleb brainlet to buy one early.

The shortage of gaming hardware means that the last gen hardware has held its value. I sold my old PS4 Pro & VR hardware and was fortunate to pick up an RRP PS5 at a minor loss. Even got a bunch of free games through PS Plus collection to boot. So I can still play my enhanced PS4 back catalogue, and I'm ready for the new catalog. I've made a good shout imo. The criticism here is aimed at Sony, not at the plebs.

Back