Sony launches new PlayStation 5 disc and digital models, sort of

jsilva

In brief: Back in July, we saw reports about Sony launching a lighter model of the PlayStation 5 digital version, with no mention of a lightweight model of the disc version. However, the new PS5 consoles shipped to Australia suggest Sony shaved off some weight from both PS5 versions.

When the PS5 disc and digital versions launched, the model numbers identifying them were CFI-1000A and CFI-1000B, respectively. Until recently, all consoles in the market still had one of these numbers, but Australia has apparently received a new batch of consoles with a more recent model number.

Looking at the new batch of consoles that arrived in Australia, the disc version consoles all came with the model number CFI-1102A. Although not exactly the same, this model number is quite similar to the PS5 digital version model number reported in July, to be featured in the new lighter PS5 digital console.

The new PS5 disc version already has the manual available (in Japanese), but the disc version doesn't. If the differences between the original and the new digital edition are anything to go by, the PS5 disc edition will be 300g lighter and will use new base stand screws.

Using new base stand screws may not look like much, but unlike the previous ones, the new screws are adjustable by hand without needing a screwdriver. Although it hasn't been confirmed yet, these new screws may be lighter than the original ones, explaining part of the console's weight reduction.

Once these lighter consoles arrive in more countries, in-depth reports about what has changed between the launch model and the new one that’s coming out. Until then, we can only speculate that the 300g loss was achieved using a lighter inner frame, lighter components, or just simply removing unnecessary materials.

Images credit: Press Start

Permalink to story.

300 grams is quite a lot. One suspects it is cooling related. Heatsink or metal frame. Sony used to be very good at iterating on a design to reduce the cost and simplify manufacturing. PS1 had a good 9 or 10 different mainboard designs in the retail units. Two a year until the PSOne. They halved the MSRP in 18 months, something unlikely to happen today.

Considering the bulk of PS5 as soon as they inevitably move the SoC onto 5nm they will slim the design because it's ridiculously huge and for me ugly. But I'm not staring underneath the TV when I game so I wouldn't make a big fuss about it.

Even tho I managed to get 3 of the PS5 Disk consoles for myself and my cousin's around December, I knew that this scalper insanity was gonna continue so long that we were gonna run into the time period of the revisions.

Hopefully, by the time there are actually games worth playing on PS5 and Xbox, We'll have better revisions with better SSD options.

300g is just over 10 ounces, or 1/4 a Macbook Air... It's like nothing lol. Another way to look at it is it's less than the weight of a can of soda (even if you remove the metal).

300g is just over 10 ounces, or 1/4 a Macbook Air... It's like nothing lol. Another way to look at it is it's less than the weight of a can of soda (even if you remove the metal).
It's a lot, especially when you consider that they are producing millions of Playstations. Let's say it saves them one dollar on each PS5 produced and they make a million units. That's 1 million USD saved by "basically nothing". And then there is shipment where the weight reduction could also have impact on the shipping costs.

It's a lot, especially when you consider that they are producing millions of Playstations. Let's say it saves them one dollar on each PS5 produced and they make a million units. That's 1 million USD saved by "basically nothing". And then there is shipment where the weight reduction could also have impact on the shipping costs.
Oh I agree from a business perspective, it's great. I just meant from the customer's point of view the weight savings mean very little.

Good news. Keep the revisions going Sony.

As much as I like PS and I'll get a PS5 at some point, I opted to upgrade my GPU now and wait for more revisions/Slim model later to get my PS5. This model of PS5 does not fit into my TV cabinet and I don't want to place it vertical.

I can wait for Slim coming in 2022 (as rumored) or for PS5 Pro in 2023 (rumored). The new GPU makes the waiting easier and it was more important for me anyway.

I can't see there being a slim version until 2023. Hopefully by then there will be more choice of PS5 exclusive games.

Back