Sony looks to crowdfund its new smart lock project

Justin Kahn

sony crowdfunding smart lock

While certainly not the first of its kind, it looks as though Sony might be putting a new smart lock on the market. The massive electronics company will be looking to crowd-fund its new Qrio Smart Lock project on Makuake

While it may seem odd to some for such a large company to use crowd funding, most believe this is just a way for Sony to get feedback on the new Qrio, not necessarily a way to fund it. You might remeber when the company did something similar with its e-paper watch project.

The smart lock is an add-on for existing fixtures and features user customized entry keys, allowing you to open the lock with nothing but a smartphone. By the sounds of it, a Qrio owner can create a number of encryption keys, including those for one-time use, and then send them to friends and family via popular messaging services like Facebook and LINE.

As previously mentioned there are many other smart locks out there like the Kwikset options, Goji, and others, but Sony’s certainly has a minimalist look that will likely appeal to some people. Having said that, many suggest that using locks of this nature on your front door, never mind passing encryption keys around via Facebook, might not be the safest option.

Reports suggest the final consumer model will likely be priced around $120. You can see the Qrio in action below from the Makuake campaign page:

Permalink to story.

I need a shot of whatever Sony is drinking right now. Why not just get a $30 Kwikset with keypad, deadbolt, Smartkey, and Bump Guard.
/No one will hack you or ground your flight over bomb threats

I need a shot of whatever Sony is drinking right now. Why not just get a $30 Kwikset with keypad, deadbolt, Smartkey, and Bump Guard.
/No one will hack you or ground your flight over bomb threats

My GF got me one of these you have mention. Just press lock and it's lock. Then when I return home I punch in my code the deadbolt opens I am almost in.

I like SONY electronics but this lock system using your tablet or smartphone has some drawbacks.

In the next pawn2own, it will be hacked with an orange, two screwdrivers and a Rapsberry Pi.

This what will happen when you trying to unlock it with your phone

Blackberry:
"please replace your handset, it so yesterday"

Microsoft Lumia:
"access denied, unable to verify the device, please put Nokia logo on your device, then try it again"

iPhone:
"unable to access, please update your os first"
after updating
"unable to access, please only use device with android os"

Samsung Galaxy S X:
"unknown device detected, failed to connect, please only use authorized Sony device to unlock it"

Sony Xperia Z2:
"outdated Xperia model detected, please only use the latest model of Sony device to unlock it"

"I have this idea and we probably have enough money to fund it, but lets eliminate the risk and do it with other peoples money instead of our own just incase people don't want it"

"you're on the fast track to success, kid"

"thank you sir!"

that's how I think this went down at sony

After everything Sony has been through, I'm not sure if I would want their security devices anywhere near ANYTHING I would want safe. Sony doesn't really speak "security" to me.

So now you're going to need a smartphone to open your door? What do you do if you lose the phone or the battery goes dead, climb in the window?

Never mind, you call the NSA and they'll Email you the encryption key. I'm sure they'll have it on file.

With Sony's current popularity at an, "all time high", I wonder how this beg-a-thon will fly with the mostly former Sony customers now existing out in the wild. Maybe Sony should give this a big push via a flashy ad campaign. Perhaps something like, "now be prepared to lock yourself out of your own house with our latest digital technology. It's from the same wonderful people that brought you Cinavia" "Yup, we locked you out of your Blu-Ray discs, and now we're going to improve your home the same way". Check please!

But, all in all, this door lock seems like a good buy. I'll take two, in the big, brass, model, or are they only Sony's prototypes?

Last edited:
Back