Sony ramps up 3D camera module output in wake of interest from handset makers

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Forward-looking: Sony is the largest supplier of camera modules to the smartphone industry. If it's prediction that 3D camera tech is indeed the next big innovation, the company is in a prime position to take advantage of it, financially speaking.

Could 3D camera technology be the next driver of innovation in the stagnant smartphone industry? Sony sure hopes so.

The Japanese electronics giant has ramped up production of next-gen 3D sensors for mobile cameras after receiving interest from smartphone manufacturers. Bloomberg’s report didn’t cite interested parties by name but listed Apple, Alphabet and Samsung among its existing partners.

Satoshi Yoshihara, head of Sony’s sensor division, said cameras revolutionized phones and based on what he’s seen, he has the same expectation for 3D. “The pace will vary by field, but we’re definitely going to see adoption of 3D. I’m certain of it,” Yoshihara added.

The smartphone market could use a kick in the pants. According to IDC, global smartphone shipments likely fell by three percent in 2018. A combination of market saturation and slowed innovation has led to longer upgrade cycles, prompting some companies to increase the cost of their flagships to compensate.

If 3D camera technology is the next big thing in mobile, that’d be good news for Sony considering the company supplies around half of the camera chip market.

IDC expects growth to pick back up in 2019 and continue through at least 2022.

Image courtesy Sashkin via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

3D was originally a BIG hit over a century ago (closer to two) mainly because their images were from places all around the world. Now days I think it's more of a novelty and doubt it will stand the test of time this time around ......

The popularity of camera phones is mostly due to social media: Facebook, Youtube, Twitter and Snapchat or Instagram.

Those social media platforms have been specifically tuned for Apple iOS devices and Android devices - at a slower rate - due to the wide variation among Android devices.

If those social media platforms can't reproduce the 3D effects then the cameras within the smartphones shooting 3D photos are useless.

3D is a novelty and gimmick.

3D HDTV for example: failed horribly.

3D video game console projection failed as well.

The average viewer of video and photos doesn't want to have to wear any headsets or eyewearto view media.

The popularity of camera phones is mostly due to social media: Facebook, Youtube, Twitter and Snapchat or Instagram.

Those social media platforms have been specifically tuned for Apple iOS devices and Android devices - at a slower rate - due to the wide variation among Android devices.

If those social media platforms can't reproduce the 3D effects then the cameras within the smartphones shooting 3D photos are useless.

3D is a novelty and gimmick.

3D HDTV for example: failed horribly.

3D video game console projection failed as well.

The average viewer of video and photos doesn't want to have to wear any headsets or eyewearto view media.

While you are correct about your list of unrelated factoids, you are completely missing the point of this tech. I don't think it's that cool either but this is NOT "dual-image" overlay stuff, my dude. Sorry you missed it.

"A combination of market saturation and slowed innovation has led to longer upgrade cycles, prompting some companies to increase the cost of their flagships to compensate."
hey, how about lowering the cost of the phone, then people might be tempted to upgrade. They are sure not going to when the new phone is even more eye-wateringly expensive.

3D worked out great for movies and TVs, they dominate the market and there are no 2D versions of either left! I'm sure it'll work out just as well for phones.

3D worked out great for movies and TVs, they dominate the market and there are no 2D versions of either left! I'm sure it'll work out just as well for phones.

The 3D cameras being discussed here are fundamentally different then the 3D effect you are describing. The 3D cameras mentioned in this article have the ability to sense depth, essentially allowing them to capture an additional plane. Not only will it increase accuracy for face detection and object labeling but at some point it should also be possible to "scan" real world objects into digital data. The applications for such a Camera, especially with AR coming about, are endless.

There's absolutely NO concern that the smartphone sales will ever slump down. If any drop in sales, it's due to the prohibitive prices they slap on these gadgets, especially from apple and Samsung. It's THE gadget of this century. It's the lifeline of so many, looking at how glued are peoples' faces to their phone screens everywhere...including in the toilets.

3D photos are currently trialling as an iPhone (dual camera models only) exclusive on Facebook. They are kinda cool but the quality is quite poor. With some proper hardware and some more software optimisation I can see this sort of thing being quite popular. Id enjoy it, especially as I along with most users probably view the vast majority of images on screens rather than printed paper.

Another gimmick, in hopes of getting more people to dish out even MORE money for these silly things.

Back