Sony rolling out PlayStation 4 kiosks at select retailers nationwide

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The PlayStation 4 is set to launch in North America in less than a month but in the event you simply can’t wait that long, Sony has you covered. As of this week, the company is rolling out PS4 demo kiosks to stores nationwide so you can try the new console before you buy.

In a blog post on the matter, Sony said the initial wave of PS4 demo units will appear in select Sony Stores. If you don’t live near a Sony Store, fret not, as thousands more will be added to various retail locations including Best Buy, GameStop, Target and Walmart in the coming weeks.

ps4 playstation 4 kiosk

If you’re interested in finding a demo kiosk near you, simply visit the Experience PlayStation website and enter your Zip code (and cross your fingers). The system appears to be a bit glitchy at the moment as it showed my nearest location was a garage door company but we are hearing that Sony is working on a fix as we speak.

Once you find a kiosk, you’ll be able to sample upcoming games like Knack, Octodad: Dadliest Catch, FIFA 14, Contrast, Super Motherload and Pinball Arcade. It’s not the best lineup of games but at the same time, Sony has to be careful not to put out games with a Mature rating like Call of Duty: Ghosts or Killzone: Shadow Fall. Naturally, the new DualShock 4 controller will also be on display at each kiosk.

Permalink to story.

Great marketing idea. You know there are going to be lines 20 people deep to play this.

Great marketing idea. You know there are going to be lines 20 people deep to play this.

Little kids, maybe. This is the problem with every serious game now also being R-rated - you can't put any AAA titles out for people to demo. The industry really, and I mean *REALLY* needs to start making "teen-friendly" games again with the violence dialed down a little and language, nudity and other graphic elements heavily scrubbed. Games like this used to be the rule, now their almost extinct.

Every time I see one of these it reminds me of playing Mortal Kombat on an SNES in Circuit City as a kid. Going to Circuit City was like Christmas morning. @_@

Little kids, maybe. This is the problem with every serious game now also being R-rated - you can't put any AAA titles out for people to demo. The industry really, and I mean *REALLY* needs to start making "teen-friendly" games again with the violence dialed down a little and language, nudity and other graphic elements heavily scrubbed. Games like this used to be the rule, now their almost extinct.

With the decline of Nintendo, this has become the norm.

With the average gamer age now being in their 30s. it's unlikely. The game studios want those mature gamer bucks.

Back