Sony slashes PS Vita prices in Japan, Final Fantasy X HD previewed

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Sony today announced plans to slash the price of their handheld PlayStation Vita by as much as 33 percent in Japan. The move comes as Sony is feeling increased competition from free or cheap games sold on smartphones and tablets.

Executives said the price cut was designed to make the platform more accessible than ever and will appeal to wider audiences looking to buy the model that best suitable for their game play style. Sony’s Wi-Fi only model currently retails for around $270 while the 3G unit commands just over $320. When the new pricing goes into effect starting on February 28, both models will sell for just $215.

In related PS Vita news, Square Enix recently showed off a preview of their HD remake of Final Fantasy X. This was the first title in the franchise to be released on the PlayStation 2 way back in 2001. We’ve known about the remake for roughly two years but this is the first time that we’ve seen what the team has done with it thus far.

sony final fantasy ps vita

It’s unclear at this hour when Final Fantasy X HD will be released or what other consoles it may be heading to but if I were you, I’d keep a close eye on Sony’s media event scheduled for this Wednesday. It’s widely anticipated that the Japanese company will introduce the world to the PlayStation 4 and with any luck, we might also hear something about more widespread PS Vita price cuts or the Final Fantasy remake.

Permalink to story.

If that's a genuine representation of the HD reboot of the lesser popular Final Fantasy, then colour me unimpressed. And if that's the big hook to get more people buying PS Vitas, whoever was in charge of that decision should be taken outside into the street and shot.

If they are worried about vita sales they should had released the remake 5 months ago.

Only graphics using Final Fantasy 13's engine would make me consider buying a PS3 release for this game. Greatly dissappointed at the graphics shown in the preview. That's not what I've been waiting for TWO whole years~! :confused: (n)

It seems a port rather than a remake... I though they don't like remakes that much hence no updated FF7.

If that's a genuine representation of the HD reboot of the lesser popular Final Fantasy, then colour me unimpressed. And if that's the big hook to get more people buying PS Vitas, whoever was in charge of that decision should be taken outside into the street and shot.
"lesser popular"? Are you being serious? I guess being "only" the number 3 top seller from Square-Enix of all time (Number 7 top seller of all PS2 games) makes it not nearly as popular...
Source: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Square-Enix_games

Only graphics using Final Fantasy 13's engine would make me consider buying a PS3 release for this game. Greatly dissappointed at the graphics shown in the preview. That's not what I've been waiting for TWO whole years~! :confused: (n)

PS3 release? This article clearly says (multiple times) this is for the Vita. It also goes on to say it is unclear whether the remake is going to consoles.

[FONT=Arial]If this deal comes to the states, which would be crazy if it didn't, I would recommend everyone to [/FONT]go pick up a Vita.
[FONT=Arial]
Have been loving mine since launch, and the more people that jump on board will just give Sony more reason to make your decision [/FONT]
worth while.

"lesser popular"? Are you being serious? I guess being "only" the number 3 top seller from Square-Enix of all time (Number 7 top seller of all PS2 games) makes it not nearly as popular...

It's still a cack game, no matter how much you protest. If given the choice, most people would much prefer a reboot of FF 7, 8 or 9.

It's still a cack game, no matter how much you protest. If given the choice, most people would much prefer a reboot of FF 7, 8 or 9.
Ha, you're right about the 7 and 8. I said FFX was the number 3 top seller, well you just found what number 2 and 1 were.

Earthshaking prediction that everyone will laugh at now, but not in 5 years.

Sony's PS4 will be their final console hardware release.

The reasons for this are easily researched and unmistakable. Some obvious reasons are the company as a whole has been bleeding 100's of millions of dollars per year for over five straight years. Microsoft has displaced Sony as the Console king in only two generations - something almost NOone thought possible. Sony STILL has not gotten serious about online gaming in a way that seriously threatens Microsoft's dominance in this area. And finally, there is a very real possibility that NO company will be releasing new hardware after this generation due to the fact that by that time streaming technology will finally be refined enough to truly support always-online platforms where, literally, the only new hardware you will need (and maybe not even this) is a system specific controller.

Now - feel free to laugh now, but remember later!

Back