Sony to host PlayStation 5 games showcase on June 4

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: The event, scheduled to take place on June 4 at 1 p.m. Pacific, will be available to watch on both Twitch and YouTube. Sony's Jim Ryan said the lack of physical events (due to Covid-19 containment measures) has given them an amazing opportunity to think differently and bring gamers on the journey with them.

Sony on Friday confirmed what we suspected all along – a showcase featuring next-gen PlayStation 5 games is happening next week.

Jim Ryan, president and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, revealed in an official blog post earlier today that Sony will be hosting a digital showcase highlighting what studios big and small have in store for later this year.

The digital showcase will run for just over an hour, we’re told.

Sony in March shared technical specifications of its upcoming console with gamers and revealed the new DualSense controller in April. Curiously enough, we still don’t know what the actual system will look like or how much it’ll retail for. Ryan made no mention of hardware in his post today so odds are, we’ll still be in the dark regarding aesthetics following next week’s showcase.

Earlier this month, we got to see what the Unreal Engine 5 is capable of on Sony's new system.

Both the PlayStation 5 and Xbox One Series X are expected to arrive in time for the lucrative holiday shopping season. Are you planning to pick up a new console this year? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

Is it just me or is Sony trying to grab attention in recent weeks and months coming off as rather desperate? I'm no fan of Microsoft and I don't own any of their hardware, but it feels like Sony is worried about them this time around.

Is it just me or is Sony trying to grab attention in recent weeks and months coming off as rather desperate? I'm no fan of Microsoft and I don't own any of their hardware, but it feels like Sony is worried about them this time around.
It is just you. Smallest tweet from sony have more response than anything else, so they know they can wait. They planned event at June to match E3, and they keep this plan up even if E3 is not here.
Sony dont need to talk too much on ps5 yet, there are 2 big ps4 exclusives and too much talking on ps5 would reduce income. They still have nearly half a year to hype their system, so why to rush?

All I wanna see is the console at this point.

This is not necessarily console reveal, it is game - oriented presentation. They might show the ps5, but rather will focus on new games only.

It is just you. Smallest tweet from sony have more response than anything else, so they know they can wait. They planned event at June to match E3, and they keep this plan up even if E3 is not here.
No it's not. Don't speak for everyone.

If they don't reveal the hardware, or at least give a look at what it'll look like for the event, it will definitely seem like they're stalling. They'll be past the norm.

More PS5 games! (*)
-
*Games actually run on PC, intended only for showcase of how will games maybe look on a real hardware :-D

This trend kinda got old in past 20 years they use it.

More PS5 games! (*)
-
*Games actually run on PC, intended only for showcase of how will games maybe look on a real hardware :-D

This trend kinda got old in past 20 years they use it.
3rd party, yes. 1st party Sony studios for last 5 years at least-nope, always taken from actual console hardware.

I always find it strange how much people care what it looks like. For me, the important bits are specs and games. I know about specs already, now it's time for some games (me praying for Horizon: Zero Dawn 2) and that's it, I'm sold.

Back