Sony unveils slimmer and lighter PlayStation VR2 and Scene controllers

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Sony has unveiled the design of its next generation virtual reality headset, the PlayStation VR2, and accompanying PlayStation VR2 Scene controller. Hideaki Nishino, SVP of platform experience at Sony Interactive Entertainment, said the design of the PS VR2 headset was inspired by the look of the PS5 family of products.

Lots of thought was put into the headset’s ergonomics, as Sony wants users to feel as immersed in their game world as possible while ensuring a comfortable fit for a variety of head sizes.

New additions to the next-gen headset include a lens adjustment dial to manually tweak the distance between a user’s eyes and the lens, a built-in motor for headset feedback and a ventilation system to prevent the lens from fogging up during intense gaming sessions.

Even with the new features, Sony managed to craft a headset with a slimmer design that weighs less than the original.

Much like on the PS5 and DualSense controller, Sony also added tiny PlayStation symbols to the bands of the PS VR2 – a neat little Easter egg, if you will.

Nishino only briefly touched on the technical aspects of the PS VR5, noting its ability to support 4K HDR visuals and its use of inside-out camera tracking. As previously reported, the headset will also connect to consoles via a single cord for ease of use.

The PlayStation VR2 doesn’t yet have a launch date, nor do we know how much it will cost. That said, it is already in the hands of developers so hopefully we will get more details in the not-too-distant future.

Permalink to story.

I really enjoyed (and still enjoy) the PS4 VR.... I might pick this up when they release a PS5 Pro (or whatever they call it) in a couple years...

If this will run the old psvr games along with the new ones, I might finally bite the bullet and try vr again.
Does the PS5 play PS4 games natively? If so, I don't see why the VR wouldn't also be backwards compatible...

Apparently, the current PSVR works on the PS5... so I figure there shouldn't be too much of a problem...

The product might be good.

But I hate people talk about the design of things the whole 360 view crap just feels artsy farsty nonsense

Does the PS5 play PS4 games natively? If so, I don't see why the VR wouldn't also be backwards compatible...

Apparently, the current PSVR works on the PS5... so I figure there shouldn't be too much of a problem...
I never bought the original vr so to me a lot of the value is in the ability to play the back catalog of previous VR titles from thr ps4. I'm aware the psvr from the ps4 will work but I intentionally skipped it to wait for better hardware and the back catalog. The change in the tracking system makes wonder whether or not the psvr games will run natively on the new one and I have yet to find anywhere Sony has said explicitly it will run the back catalog.

Where's the d*amn price Sony?

The silence already lets me know this thing will be 300 or more, add in the price of a ps5, whew, for something with a cable thats a big ask. The quest has nothing to worry about.

Where's the d*amn price Sony?

The silence already lets me know this thing will be 300 or more, add in the price of a ps5, whew, for something with a cable thats a big ask. The quest has nothing to worry about.
It hasn't been released yet... why would they give a price? I would assume it will be a bit more than the previous PSVR, as the PS5 is more expensive than the PS4 was...

It hasn't been released yet... why would they give a price? I would assume it will be a bit more than the previous PSVR, as the PS5 is more expensive than the PS4 was...
So I know if its really worth waiting for, I have a quest 2 thats been well worth its price, I dont have a ps5 which is what this thing needs, so I'd like to know its price so I have the whole picture.

if its 300 or more, then sony is asking 700+ minimum for a VR headset with a cable in 2022...this thing better either have some of the most groundbreaking VR games in years or something else they havent mentioned to justify that.

So I know if its really worth waiting for, I have a quest 2 thats been well worth its price, I dont have a ps5 which is what this thing needs, so I'd like to know its price so I have the whole picture.

if its 300 or more, then sony is asking 700+ minimum for a VR headset with a cable in 2022...this thing better either have some of the most groundbreaking VR games in years or something else they havent mentioned to justify that.
Yes... I know why YOU want a price... but why would SONY give you one yet?

Back