Sony Vaio has problems with Vista start up

AlexR

I am having problems booting up, getting the windows failed to start screen each time. If I opt for repair, Windows is unable to repair, and if I opt for normal, Windows starts up. However it starts very slowly and I seem to be unable to install new programs to then work properly (I have recently tried FileHippo Udpate Checker and Secunia PSI but they won't run). I think I must have damaged something while removing a virus - possibly with ComboFix.

I have run Checkdisc several times and done other bits and pieces that I've seen might help, but with no noticable improvements. I don't know what to do, so any help would be much appreciated....

Thanks in advance!

"I must have damaged something while removing a virus - possibly with ComboFix"...

I would recommend the you install Vista, but better yet, upgrade to Windows 7 ;)

Can I do that as a simple upgrade or will I need to do a fresh install to get rid of the problem? I don't really want to have to remove all files before reinstalling Windows unless there's no ther option. Plus I think the computer came pre-loaded with Vista, so I don't have a CD, just the Windows license sticker...

These restore features are part of the bios before Windows loads... Sometimes called a "Factory Restore" to like the computer was originally when you first bought it

Pressing F8 I get several options. The closest option is something like Restore Mode of Directory Services (translated from Spanish). Is that it?

Back