Sony warns that PlayStation 5 shortages are expected to continue throughout 2022

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: If you’re one of the many gamers who still haven’t been able to grab a PlayStation 5, there’s always the comforting knowledge that availability should be back to normal next year. Unfortunately, that may not be the case. Sony itself has reportedly confirmed that the console’s short supply will remain throughout 2022.

Following the release of its financial results last month, Sony told analysts that even if its supply of components improves and production is ramped up next year, meeting demand for the PS5 will still be challenging.

“I don’t think demand is calming down this year and even if we secure a lot more devices and produce many more units of the PlayStation 5 next year, our supply wouldn’t be able to catch up with demand,” Sony Chief Financial Officer Hiroki Totoki said at the briefing, reports Bloomberg.

Sony admitted that it needs to boost the number of PS5 units being produced as soon as possible to get more of the consoles onto shelves. One analyst questioned whether the company was failing to capitalize on the number of consumers opting for home-based entertainment as a result of the pandemic, but Totoki believes demand will remain high even as lockdowns ease and more people are vaccinated.

The PS5 sold 7.8 million units by March, more than what the PS4 managed during the same launch period. There was some less welcome news: January - March sales were down QoQ, while the number of active PlayStation Network users in Q1 2021 was down to 109 million from 114 million a year earlier. Despite the problems, Sony still hopes to sell 15 million PS5s by April 2022. The company is also rumored to be working on a PS5 redesign set to start production next year.

News that PS5 shortages may continue throughout next year isn’t too surprising, given that both analysts and semiconductor giant TSMC have both warned that the current situation could last a long time.

If you are lucky enough to own a PlayStation 5, check out the latest Game Boost trailer from Sony.

Permalink to story.

And what a surprise. Sony's 15 million, I mean 10 million, I mean 7.8 million consoles are supply constrained, likely be it's chip maker (AMD) and all their efforts to "increase production" are going to go nowhere because the capacity is not there.

2020 was an extremely depressing year.

You're stuck at home. Nothing to do but school on computer, work on computer or game on computer...and now, all of the components are being scalped, all the systems are being scalped and the corporations REFUSE to do the reasonable thing and ship directly to individual homes with restrictions and limitations until they meet demand.

I was so lucky I was able to get a PS5 for myself and my cousin's christmas and even luckier to snag my 3090 FTW3s at MSRP.

But this is just a shame. I assumed by now they'd have worked this madness out.

I'm guessing they won't till the system revisions.

"The pandemic and everybody staying at home has created record, unprecedented demand we can't meet it right away!"

"With everybody returning to normal, being vaccinated and the gradual but steady reactivation of the economy we are seeing record demand! We can't meet it right away!"

*annoyed sigh*

You can't have it both ways Sony: PICK ONE.

I guess it's easier than saying "Well even though we've been doing this for decades we didn't actually plan for an intentional supply constrain with our key manufacturing partners at TSMC so our solution right now is.....*tries to wait long enough so people forget the question*"

And what a surprise. Sony's 15 million, I mean 10 million, I mean 7.8 million consoles are supply constrained, likely be it's chip maker (AMD) and all their efforts to "increase production" are going to go nowhere because the capacity is not there.
"Sony's 15 million, I mean 10 million," were never confirmed by Sony, just made up by fame-hungry pseudo insiders without any previous confirmed leaks. Known insiders have never provided any numbers.

I was able to secure 2 ps5's at launch, but with the pandemic and supply issue this was to be expected. That's a pity, same with most of the consumer electronics, so the redesign to use 6nm technology might allow them to get more chips as there might be some availability in fabs.

There are a lot of shortages right now. Demand is playing a part, but part of it is that the supply chain surplus on some goods just took longer to deplete than others. Bicycles are hard to find right now, especially adult sizes in higher end brands. Certain things like chlorine to shock and open your pool, people can't find it. I think all of these things are going to get worse before they get any better.

The good news is that the summer months are coming and many places have eased mask restrictions. Outdoor activity this spring and summer is going to be closer to normal (well if the weather cooperates, its still really cold here for May). Soon, maybe, just maybe, people will stop looking for PS5s and electronics for a while, discouraging scalpers, and letting the supply chain catch up a bit. I know I'm excited to get back outdoors as soon as I can.

Not Surprising but what I find very interesting is Microsoft have been pretty quite there end compared to Sony - now I get Microsoft hasn't sold as many as Sony I would bet, they also say they don't really care which may or may not be true. But being different sides of the world but with effectively the same chips or V Similar does that mean Sony might have more Fab Space then Microsoft or if Sony gets more MS gets less?

Not Surprising but what I find very interesting is Microsoft have been pretty quite there end compared to Sony - now I get Microsoft hasn't sold as many as Sony I would bet, they also say they don't really care which may or may not be true. But being different sides of the world but with effectively the same chips or V Similar does that mean Sony might have more Fab Space then Microsoft or if Sony gets more MS gets less?

I think MS care a lot less to be honest as their business model is very much focussed on the Xbox and Windows ecosystem, as opposed to shifting as many units as they can. I think it was only last week they said they'd never made a profit on the Xbox hardware.

Because of the emphasis on services and cross-platform subscriptions I would assume demand wouldn't be as high as for the PS5, although this is speculation on my part.

No point of getting either of the new consoles, they are no games, usually we have next gen games to accompany the launch but nothing.
Sony and Microsoft could've waited till they have proper next gen games and launch the consoles with reasonable numbers.

There are also shortages in lumber and building supplies currently, but I'm sure the PS5 shortage and this are all, somehow, due to those dastardly crypto miners.

You mean to tell me there is no lumber?!? Went to home depot and there is actually nothing but lumber in the lumber department lol. Get ready for a gas shortage and price increase this week due to a cyber hack. But it must of been us miners fault for that too.
Buying a PS5 right now isn't about "playing games".

It's about flexing on social media.

We know dude, every post you put has to do on how you were able to get two ps5 but don't care for it and how you got two 3090 gpu. we know... we know... But to stay on topic, I agree now PS5 will hold out on more games to play for those of us who have one since the supply isn't there :(

You mean to tell me there is no lumber?!? Went to home depot and there is actually nothing but lumber in the lumber department lol. Get ready for a gas shortage and price increase this week due to a cyber hack. But it must of been us miners fault for that too.
Thankfully wood is a lot easier to produce than a GPU but nonetheless the supply is squeezed at the moment:

Crypto miners are probably setting wildfires as part of some dark ritual to summon the shade of Ayn Rand to usher in a thousand years of objectivist darkness and kill all the polar bears. Have they no decency?!?!

Well, I guess that the silver lining (for us) is that there's a good probability that the vast majority of techspot users don't game on consoles.

PC MASTER RACE BABAY!!! :laughing:

But when they do buy, they buy not one, but at least two consoles.

I'm sure PS5 is great and all but I couldn't care less about the shortage since I have pretty much always favored PC gaming over consoles. The keyboard and mouse cannot be beat. Except when it comes to fighting games like Tekken and Soul Calibre.
I too am more troubled to see old PC graphics cards doubled/tripled in prices.
You can get a good buy on the equivalent in a laptop though. Its decent at the moment.

I'm sure PS5 is great and all but I couldn't care less about the shortage since I have pretty much always favored PC gaming over consoles. The keyboard and mouse cannot be beat. Except when it comes to fighting games like Tekken and Soul Calibre.
I too am more troubled to see old PC graphics cards doubled/tripled in prices.
You can get a good buy on the equivalent in a laptop though. Its decent at the moment.
I use a controller (with reWASD software) and mouse combo and it does beat keyboard in mouse IMHO. Even when assigned as WASD, the control stick just works better for movement. I have a mouse with six side buttons also assigned through reWASD, it works beautifully. The only downside is that many games do require a little setup, but its minimal since most use the same buttons for similar actions.

Back