Sony Xperia XZ4 leak claims it will feature a 52MP camera, 4400mAh battery

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: With the Galaxy S10 shaping up to be an impressive, and expensive, device, and Apple looking to shake up this year’s iPhones following the muted reaction to 2018’s models, other smartphone manufacturers are looking for ways to make their products stand out. For Sony and its upcoming Xperia XZ4, that could mean a 52MP camera and a massive battery.

An alleged spec list for Sony’s next flagship appeared on Chinese social network Weibo (via GSMArena) this week. The phone is said to feature a 6.5-inch, Quad HD+ (3360 x 1440) OLED display with a 21:9 aspect ratio, 6GB of RAM, a Snapdragon 855, and 128GB of expandable storage. But it’s the battery that’s a particular eye opener; it’s said to be 4,400mAh model with Qnovo Adaptive Charge. That's larger than the Galaxy S10 Plus’ rumored 4,000 mAh battery.

While those specs alone would make it an impressive device, the Xperia XZ4 is also rumored by Sumahoinfo to have a triple rear camera setup that includes a massive 52MP (f/1.6 aperture) main sensor. We know more megapixels don't ensure a better image quality, but it would still mean bragging rights for Sony.

The rear of the phone may also include a 16-megapixel telephoto sensor (f/2.6 aperture) and a 0.3MP (f/1.4 aperture) Time of Flight sensor—technology that sends out invisible laser pulses and measures how long they take to bounce back, allowing the creation of detailed 3D models. ToF will reportedly be a feature in the next iPhones, too.

Earlier this month, it was revealed that the Xperia XZ4 beat every other handset in leaked benchmark scores. The phone’s expected to be revealed at Mobile World Congress in a few weeks’ time, so we should learn more soon.

Permalink to story.

We know more megapixels don't ensure a better image quality, but it would still mean bragging rights for Sony.
What does give the bragging rights to a modern phone camera today is 2 things: image quality taken in low light, and 8K still shots (nobody expects any 8K video support in the near future, only still shots).

Even the latest, most expensive iPhone still sucks taking pictures in low light, compared to the competition of S9, for example. And Sony is even worse there. So nobody gives a damn about the extra megapixels anymore, give it up, Sony!

Hmmmm.....going to have to see that one to believe it. Granted, in the DSLR and mirrorless markets Sony is kicking the stuffings out of Nikon & Canon so maybe there is something to the claim .... only time will tell and IF it proves out to be the case, what is that phone going to cost??? $3,500 plus???

and 8K still shots (nobody expects any 8K video support in the near future, only still shots).

8K is only 33 megapixels, and we've had camera phones that can do that for five years now. I still have a working Lumia 1020 at 40mp and it's still gorgeous, though the OS is long since defunct now. You can't even offload images directly through USB anymore, you have to use OneDrive. But it still works and it's still beautiful.

Sony's pricing is ridiculous, I really want to buy an XZ3, but it's hard for me to justify right now given than OnePlus 6 is cheaper by 30%, even Huawei P20 Pro is cheaper. The XZ4 might be around 1k$ I guess.

I know a guy who has a hard on for Sony Xperia phones and one of the reasons is cause of the camera but I don't remeber Sony ever having top notch cameras except the megapixels. Some people just buy into this MP ****.

I will want one, only if the phone does not overheat (and app shutdown) from taking videos like my previous XZ.

Back