Sony's $99 Playstation TV headed to the US and Canada later this year

Himanshu Arora

Staff

sony playstation canada gaming e3 e3 2014 playstation tv

Sony announced yesterday that it's bringing its Vita TV video and game streaming device to the US, Canada, and Europe this fall. The announcement was made during the company's presentation at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, the game industry’s annual trade show.

Sony originally released the small device in Japan last year. Formerly known as the PlayStation Vita TV, the miniature console will be called PlayStation TV in North America and Europe.

playstation canada sony playstation tv

You can connect the gadget to any television in your home and play PS4 games streamed from your console connected to another set. The device will also stream games from Sony’s PlayStation Now cloud gaming service, which will enter open beta in the US and Canada on July 31.

Sony Computer Entertainment of America president Shawn Layden said the device will be able play nearly 1,000 games at launch, including most Vita games as well as those that were previously available on older PlayStation models.

Apart from gaming, which is obviously the core focus, PlayStation TV is also expected to allow users to stream video content from services like Hulu and others.

You can buy the device either as a standalone unit, or as part of a bundle that includes a DualShock 3 controller, 8GB memory card, an HDMI cable, and a copy of The Lego Movie game. While the former will be available for $99, the latter will cost you $139.

Permalink to story.

I'm not terribly fond of Sony, but this sounds like it could give Apple TV a run for its money, at least in my eyes.

I hope nobody says: "where's the Blu-ray player in the playstation tv I just purchased?"

Back