Sound drivers not showing in XP Control Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't explain why but suddenly none of sound drivers including the Windows defaults are showing in the Control Panel for sounds or audio. I've reinstalled the driver for my Delta 44 card three times, ran repair on XP Pro twice and still no show or sound. All drivers are listed as working in Device Manager. I see on the internet that this is not uncommon, but how do you fix it?

Saba Raba

Hmmmm.. Are you saying the default Sounds and Audio is also missing from Control Panel???? Is your sound otherwise working OK? It's just the stuff missing from Control Panel???

I don't know i have an answer.. but here's some info/things to try
> Note the "drivers" are what you see in Device Manager (so good they're still there!)
> The stuff in Control Panel aren't the drivers.

To try restoring the Control Panel applets try
> Look in Add/Remove programs. Do you see an entry for your Delta 44? Uninstall it
> Reboot and then try reinstalling the Delta44 stuff

Also, you should also be able to start the standard Windows Sound and Audio applet by Start->Run, enter: mmsys.cpl then click OK

No sound at all

Thanks for the input. The big problem is that there is no sound at all. All the drivers are listed in the device mgr...even the windows default. In the control panel sound applet there is nothing but a drawing of a speaker and the words, "No Audio Device."

I've reinstalled the Delta 42 drivers three times. Still Nothing. How do I get the Audio Devices listed in the applet. The Delta should come up under the Audio tab.

SabaRaba

<snip>
I've reinstalled the Delta 42 drivers three times<snip>
SabaRaba

But how are you reinstalling? Have you checked for and tried to first uninstall and Delta44 programs via Add/Remove Programs (not Device Manager)?

/* edit */
btw.. is it Delta 42? or Delta 44? or ???? you've reference both

Sound drivers not showing

Definitely with Add/Remove in Control panel... It is Delta 44. 42 is a typo I didn't catch before the answer went out

SabaRaba

Hmm.... Have you checked their website here for the latest drivers?

Hope that might help as otherwise i don't know what else to suggest :(

Sound Drivers not showing....

Thanks to all of you who gave suggestions. Someone finally came up with a simple solution. Here's what to do.

Go to Run. Type in: Services.msc > Enter
In new window scroll down to Audio Devices..Right Click
Right click on Properties
Make sure "Automatic" is clicked
Restart.

That's all there is to it. Sound works 100%

SabaRaba

Sound drivers now are showing

You're welcome and thanks for the input. I'm originally from Chicago. I'll be there in three weeks. Can I call to say thanks?

SabaRaba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back