Source claims Xbox 720 will ship without optical drive

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft is reportedly telling partners that the next Xbox, tentatively dubbed the Xbox 720, will not include an optical disc drive. The briefings are said to be released under what one source claims is the strictest NDA they have ever encountered, according to an exclusive article from MCV.

In place of the optical drive would be a type of interchangeable solid state drive or card, presumably for users that don't have an internet connection. The source also tells MCV that a 2013 launch date has been confirmed and a reveal at E3 2012 in June could very well be a possibility.

A move to a digital-only platform is intriguing and a sign of the times but not everyone will be vying for it. Video game retailers like GameStop earn a great deal of profit from the second-hand market. A digital-only console would completely eradicate that segment of business and further hamper the retail sector.

Furthermore, speedy broadband would almost be a requisite for title downloads. Those in rural areas without high-speed internet access need not apply… unless the rumored solid state card system circumvents this issue.

Additionally, the next generation console would need to include a hard drive with massive amounts of storage to hold purchased games. Even then, there’d still be a limit to the number of titles one console could store, unless perhaps cloud storage was factored into the equation. Finally, any hope of the 720 being backwards-compatible with existing 360 titles would be tossed out the window.

Permalink to story.

Wow...that's quite a deviation from past models. Absolutely no surprise though as they try and get rid of the 2nd sale market once and for all.

"The briefings are said to be released under what one source claims is the strictest NDA they have ever encountered, according to an exclusive article from MCV."

Doesn't seem that bad if someone is spilling the beans already.

The funny thing about rumors is, well there rumors. If Microsoft actually made a console like this I would be surprised, the digital download will more than likely be a reality, it already exists. The move from disc based storage to card based storage is also viable, but to not include an optical drive is just crazy. That means you can't watch traditional DVDs or Blu-rays (Don't see why they wouldn't put a BR-Rom minimum) and eliminates all possibilities of backwards compatibility.

I think Microsoft must resurrect the HDDVD. Maybe was fail for the whole industry but it fits perfect for the next generation of Xbox.

Not happening as MS isn't going to be willing to alienate so many people that want backwards compatibility and watch discs on their "multimedia" platform...
I don't know about some people, but I am more willing to buy a game going to a brick and mortar store than online...

There is no way Microsoft won't include an optical drive. They have position the Xbox as an entertainment center, not just a gaming device.

im all for this, sounds like it'll be just like the "good ole days" of gaming all over again. now i just need to go dig up my old cartridge cleaning kit, since this thing'll need it. thank you microsoft for resurecting the ancient procedure of blowing your game console to get it to work.

Whats worse then a sold state drive is the fact that high speed will be needed to download. Sure theres high speed internet in major metro areas. But I live in the sticks so high speed is a myth. And I like to occasionally pop in one of my on XBOX games for a quick trip down memory lane.
The fact that they are trying to get rid of businesses like GameStop just goes to show exactly how greedy they are. Gaming has always been a business that allowed you to borrow your freinds copy of a game to play it.
Whats going to suck even more is the rental business. How does Microsoft expect to get those games out there if its not in an easily transferable media. Like CD. It will mean the end of a few businesses. I certainly hope Microsoft plans on a tough fight ahead. Sure the big box stores will carry the console but most ppl buy their gear and games from places like GameStop. Im sure GS will prolly not carry the new system if MS tries to play hardball.

Na, they won't go through with this, If Microsoft did I think they will lose the next gen console war before it even began, especially since we already know the Wii U does have an optical drive and I bet the next Sony console will have a BD drive, Seems as if this Rumor is complete lies to me.

I can see this happening in all seriousness, regardless of how suspect the info actually is. DD, and proprietary 'cards' will almost eliminate any possibility of pirating..
Of course it will also allow MS and the game makers to make your DD obsolete and require you to re-lic. it when ever they feel like, have all your personal and banking info out in whatever cloud system MS is touting for this, charge horrendous amounts of cash to buy the afore mentioned 'cards' with movies/games/music on them and generally control every move you make on the new system.

But as long *** MS is making gobs of money it's all good right? I mean look at SGi.. they did proprietary like no one else in the industry and they are making hundreds of million profit each quarter... oh wait, they are actually out of business because of said proprietary HW/SW business modelling.

SONY and Nintendo must have every employee at a Buddhist alter praying for this to be true.

TomSEA said:
Wow...that's quite a deviation from past models. Absolutely no surprise though as they try and get rid of the 2nd sale market once and for all.

Yeah, no surprise there, but do you see this actually happening? I see so much backlash, and refusal to buy the 720 if it ships like this, that they'll quickly revise their stance. Even aside from the douchebaggery of trying to eradicate used game sales, they are completely throwing under the bus everyone who has built up a substantial 360 library (I'm not one of them, so I don't really care). My opinion: it'll never happen.

Why is everyone here so doubtful? A bunch of non-strategic thinkers perhaps? I bet these next-gen leaks are right on the money.
1. It doesn't need optical - you obviously already have such devices, and lets face it, Bluray is going to be restricted in size very quickly, compared to flash.
2. New tech will be able to crank out games on stamped flash just as quick as stamping out optical disks soon
3. External media will only be for those that do not download their content. And likely once you insert the physical media, it will install by means of a file transfer or run off the card and perhaps uniquely tag your physical media to your xbox. If tagged uniquely, used games will obviously go away (unless pirated), but you'd still be able to play on another box after signing in to enter credentials and verify owner rights via XBL.
4. What's the big gripe about "used games". Is there a huge used PC game market? no. That's a console thing because they require physical media and are not "installed". Game prices hopefully will be cheaper and drop faster because there is less overhead with manufacturing and shipping and they can be adopted by consumers more quickly via download and install. It's the paradigm of mobile apps/games - there's nothing wrong with it. Also it will likely be grown into offering game rentals over XBL, just like movie rentals. These "rentals" would address a lot of the used game fuss because less people would be selling back games.

Makes sense now!?!? It all seems so logical and definitely the way forward... can't believe so many naysayers and non-believers are commenting... geesh....

I think *most* people are starting to appreciate the convenience of online purchasing. People are burning their movie/game collections to HTPCs so they DON't have to mess with physical media as often... let's just skip that physical media step altogether... it is supposed to be "next-gen" afterall.

Tygerstrike said:
Whats worse then a sold state drive is the fact that high speed will be needed to download. Sure theres high speed internet in major metro areas. But I live in the sticks so high speed is a myth. And I like to occasionally pop in one of my on XBOX games for a quick trip down memory lane.
The fact that they are trying to get rid of businesses like GameStop just goes to show exactly how greedy they are. Gaming has always been a business that allowed you to borrow your freinds copy of a game to play it.
Whats going to suck even more is the rental business. How does Microsoft expect to get those games out there if its not in an easily transferable media. Like CD. It will mean the end of a few businesses. I certainly hope Microsoft plans on a tough fight ahead. Sure the big box stores will carry the console but most ppl buy their gear and games from places like GameStop. Im sure GS will prolly not carry the new system if MS tries to play hardball.

I see Gamestop getting sucked up by Bestbuy or someone as a line of business specializing in custom and used peripherals and an online game buying service like steam, origin, etc. Guessing with win8, we'll be able to play PC games streamed via our next-gen xboxs to our bigscreens, and there will also be console optimized titles. This would be stupid on MS part not to implement. If they miss the opportunity, the rumored steam box may thrive, if they nail it, the rumored steam box is DOA.

If there is no optical drive this console will flop in places like Australia , where the "average " family has a download limmit of around 50 gig a month . IMO no optical drive is the worst idea ever, not every country can be America with unlimited downloads

Well if this NextBox is as fragile as the 360 was with all the RROD going around you know this will be a gigantic failure.

this is gonna be a mess...know the PC seems the best console, with this stuff and the stupidity of sony and more restrictions on the systems...the supposed next generations is for retarded ppl...sony and mocosoft are losing all the things that a gaming console should be and alot of dumb azz fanatic will buy their stuff...very sad

Predictions:
1.-Before this mocosoft should have the best next gen console, now who knows?
2.-for sure sony wont change their business model and we wont have backward compatibility for the ps3 (transition console) and ps2 or ps1
3.-the PC will be your new console
4.-Nintendo will dissapear

its the apocalyps of the consoles

Someone needs to tell Microsoft that when a hit game hits shelves, it needs to be available for purchase online. I started buying and downloading games onto my 360S : Reach LE console and its great but you have to wait weeks, sometimes months for games to be available online and its a complete pain in the ***.

If anything, they should be available online first.

The new "next gen" xbox has an awful graphics card thats last gen (the 6670, look it up it costs $60) and they'll probably sell it for $600. This console is a cash grab, thats going to rip off the CAWODOOTY audience with more bullshit.

There's a reason pc games don't need used media; its because pc games are cheaper. Steam is an excellent distributor that provides a service Microsoft can't, they are just way to greedy.

If Microsoft and Sony don't get their **** straight, and start actually improving their hardware and treating customers with respect, they will become obsolete in the gaming market. PC gaming is the only way, and is on the rise. Consoles are becoming more and more pointless, especially since ipads are catching up with the shitty hardware, and with superior resolution.

Buy a pc and stay away from this greedy bullshit.

Back