Sources say Microsoft will receive EU approval in Activision acquisition case

Jimmy2x

Staff
The big picture: Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard has been a heavily scrutinized and criticized merger for more than a year, receiving resistance from regulators across the US, UK, and EU. Sources close to the EU's European Commission are now indicating that the agency will not require Microsoft to sell any assets to obtain acquisition approval. The decision would give Microsoft a much-needed step toward completing the acquisition.

European Commission (EC) insiders told Reuters that the regulatory agency likely won't require Microsoft to divest any assets in order to secure its $69 billion Activision Blizzard acquisition. The hotly contested merger has been a focus of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC), UK's Competitions and Markets Authority (CMA), and the EU's EC since the merger's announcement in January of 2022.

According to the report, the EC would allow Microsoft to overcome any regulatory concerns by providing licensing deals to rival companies and platforms. The move would alleviate antitrust concerns related to the merger, which initially sparked fears of limited access to successful, cross platform titles such as the Call of Duty franchise. Antitrust laws are laws put in place and enforced by market regulatory agencies to prevent monopolization or attempted monopolization by a single entity or provider.

Microsoft previously stated that it would not cave to pressures calling for the sale of the long-standing Call of Duty franchise. Last month, Microsoft President Brad Smith addressed the matter with European Union regulators, stating it wasn't "...feasible or realistic to think one game or one slice can be carved out from the rest." Smith went on to cite Sony's 20-year dominance as a leader in the console market, arguing that blocking Microsoft's merger would be counterproductive and only serve to strengthen Sony's control over the EU market.

Microsoft has been vocal about its intent to maintain competition within the market by providing solutions to address regulatory concerns and cooperating with others in the market. A Microsoft spokesperson told Reuters that its "...commitment to grant long term 100% equal access to Sony, Steam, NVIDIA and others preserves the deal's benefits to gamers and developers and increases competition in the market."

Getting past the EC's regulatory concerns is only one battle in Microsoft's multi-front war. In December 2022, the FTC filed a lawsuit against the Redmond giant, citing the potential for Microsoft to degrade Activision's features in a manner harmful to its competitors and consumers alike. Microsoft is also dealing with investigations by the UK's Competitions and Markets Authority (CMA), who said that the merger could lead to competition concerns with rival hardware and software companies. Microsoft has publicly pushed back against CMA's previous decision, instead claiming CMA relied "on self-serving statements by Sony" and has accepted the complaints without the "appropriate level of critical review."

Permalink to story.

Excellent news!

Like Microsoft said:
"If Sony wants a fair competition, then this merger must be approved"
MS already have twice as many internal studios and Bethesda, what stopping then from compete?
In x360 era ms was creating great games and was selling same number of consoles. Then... They stopped creating games. What great ms games you remember on top of your head from last 5 years? The usual, forza, geow, poor halo I fs, sure, but what are the new games they used to have with 360?
Now, if s company needs twice internal studios, and Bethesda and Activision with all their studios, how is that fair competition? If they can't make a good games with all the advantages they have it is not anymore fair competition. It is simply full but to reduce competition and to use other company products to consolidate offer in hope to compete with many time smaller company. It's a joke, really.

MS already have twice as many internal studios and Bethesda, what stopping then from compete?
In x360 era ms was creating great games and was selling same number of consoles. Then... They stopped creating games. What great ms games you remember on top of your head from last 5 years? The usual, forza, geow, poor halo I fs, sure, but what are the new games they used to have with 360?
Now, if s company needs twice internal studios, and Bethesda and Activision with all their studios, how is that fair competition? If they can't make a good games with all the advantages they have it is not anymore fair competition. It is simply full but to reduce competition and to use other company products to consolidate offer in hope to compete with many time smaller company. It's a joke, really.
You sound salty. I can't wait for this merger.

Now, if a company needs twice internal studios, and Bethesda and Activision with all their studios, how is that fair competition?
You should ask that question to Sony...did you know that 90% of all Sony's game studios were acquired and not formed from the ground up?
Here is a complete list of Sony's acquisitions which is far more than what Xbox has acquired even if we were to include Activision:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Sony

Quite a long scary list if I say so myself....

A lot of these big publishers have been crowding the gaming industry with the same old rubbish for years. By and large, they're nothing but IP holders for the so-called AAA space, and all they're really doing is milking it. Microsoft can have them as far as I'm concerned. Consolidation of large publishers might make room for a little originality. Just like movie and music media in these times, gaming badly needs a breath of fresh air.

In any case it's farcical to see Sony playing the victim in all this.

You should ask that question to Sony...did you know that 90% of all Sony's game studios were acquired and not formed from the ground up?
Here is a complete list of Sony's acquisitions which is far more than what Xbox has acquired even if we were to include Activision:

Are you actually read the data you're posting?:)
Sony's acquired 21 studios. MS acquired 18 studios:
_not_ counting Bethesda.
Now, how many well established IP's Sony acquired with those studios, and how many MS? Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Dishonored, Outer Worlds, Pillar of Eternity, and many more. Giving them Diablo, CoD and another bag of well established IPs given their internal studios don't do nearly any work is not something to keep a 'fair competition' ;D

Are you actually read the data you're posting?:)
Sony's acquired 21 studios. MS acquired 18 studios:
_not_ counting Bethesda.
Now, how many well established IP's Sony acquired with those studios, and how many MS? Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Dishonored, Outer Worlds, Pillar of Eternity, and many more. Giving them Diablo, CoD and another bag of well established IPs given their internal studios don't do nearly any work is not something to keep a 'fair competition' ;D
Ok let's break that down....
"how many well established IP's Sony acquired "
All of them were well formed and very well known by their respective studios.

And currently Sony is a much bigger gaming entity than Microsoft is, and that's a fact, the very same fact Microsoft is giving the regulators as the reason why the acquisition should be approved.

Don't hate the facts...they are there to teach you better.

So many bad takes: The solution to industry contraction is NOT more contraction.

Put another way: Not only should this deal not go through, Sony and Microsoft should be forced to divest more or less all the studio's they've acquired.

Ok let's break that down....
"how many well established IP's Sony acquired "
All of them were well formed and very well known by their respective studios.

And currently Sony is a much bigger gaming entity than Microsoft is, and that's a fact, the very same fact Microsoft is giving the regulators as the reason why the acquisition should be approved.

Don't hate the facts...they are there to teach you better.
So are you saying TLOU or Uncharted were not created within Sony, but before acquisition? Please... give me some examples of IP's Sony did not create but bought with a studio and kept monetizing on, not the ones studios created after they already had access to Sony's resources.

Sony is not a much bigger gaming entity than MS. Their gaming-related income is in the same range, it is really easy to check their financial reports. And Sony's achieving this result with much less resources.

Yeah, I do not hate the facts. Difference is I see the facts. You said "complete list of Sony's acquisitions which is far more than what Xbox has acquired" and I pointed out that even without Bethesda it is 21 to 19, hardly 'far more'.
Sony's gaming revenue for 2021 is 24 billions, while MS - 16 billions and that with the GP losses. It is not 'much bigger' - again, MS with larger number of studios released simply much less _good _ GAMES in few last years.
Do you really expect, that company which do not create good games should complain about lower revenue and keep buying well established IP's in order to take them away from competing platforms? What is that, some charity?

Do not hate facts. And do not try to change facts or simply lie about them.

So many bad takes: The solution to industry contraction is NOT more contraction.

Put another way: Not only should this deal not go through, Sony and Microsoft should be forced to divest more or less all the studio's they've acquired.
Fully agree. There is less and less space for innovation and competition because of crazy consolidations. Mega-corporations keep buying startups, patents, undercuting prices and blackmail others to remove them from market. Shops should not be producers, be that Sony, MS, Amazon, and so on. I'm amazed to see all the people who thinking reducing options is good for them.

Nintendo and Sony got really close recently here in Japan, so this might be as well why Microsoft is desperate to buy out studios. If Nintendo and Playstation would merge they would need established IP's to be able to keep up.

I've never understood all the hubbub about this merger.

microsoft gets a big name studio, whats the big deal? acti-blizz didnt get threatened at gun point, they wanted someone to buy them. Same with pretty much all the game studio mergers, they saw alot of money and wanted to get bought or they were in dire straits, didnt wanna go out like that and agreed to being bought...whatever becomes of them then, well...make a good game or get the axe.

is this a big deal because its call of duty? if thats the case then I'd laugh at sony because they cant make a decent competitor, they have so many titles and friggin bungie? thats on them for not being to beat CoD, even ninty made splatoon, im a big fan of sony but theyre coming off as salty hypocrites considering they have FF16 on lock and thats a doozy of a franchise to have all to yourself.

I cant blame any studio for taking millions in a buyout, imo you deserve a pat on the back for making something that can command that kinda cash, where else are they gonna get paid like that? their hateful gamer fanbases, who give em death threats cause the release date got pushed back a week? they're cheapskates who barely buy anything unless its on sale or call of du.....oh.

The difference is that they were all relatively small studios, with at most one big IP to their names.

And the vast majority of that list isn't games studios. Sony are a very wide spread company, far more than Microsoft, so of course they are going to have more acquisitions.

Back