SpaceX CEO Elon Musk believes there's a 70 percent chance he moves to Mars

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Forward-looking: People like to climb mountains for the challenge. That's the same reason Elon Musk would risk boarding a spaceship and relocating to Mars. At 47, it's still conceivable that he has enough time to make the vision a reality. Even if he doesn't, Musk still has plenty of endeavors here on Earth to keep him busy.

SpaceX CEO Elon Musk has long been interested in colonizing Mars. In 2012, Musk shared plans to build an 80,000-person colony on the Red Planet and has continually worked to advance SpaceX’s rocket technology to one day make interplanetary travel a reality.

Patting fearless adventurers on the back before sending them on what would likely be a one-way trip to another planet is a bold declaration and it’s one that Musk doesn’t take lightly. In fact, the serial entrepreneur wouldn’t shy away from the opportunity himself.

In a recent interview for Axios on HBO, Musk said the likelihood that he will personally go to Mars is 70 percent. “We’ve recently made a number of breakthroughs that I’m really fired up about,” he said, adding that he is talking about moving to Mars rather than just visiting.

When one of the interviewers suggested it could be an “escape hatch for rich people,” Musk dismissed the notion and laid out how the probability of dying on Mars is much higher than on Earth. There wouldn’t be much time for leisure as you’d be working to build the base – assuming, of course, that you survived the trip through space and pulled off a successful landing.

“We think you can come back but we’re not sure,” Musk added.

The full interview, part of the fourth and final episode in the documentary series, is available on HBO NOW, HBO GO, HBO On Demand and partners’ streaming platforms. Axios reporters in the episode also interviewed Christian evangelist Franklin Graham and Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates.

Lead illustration courtesy Dave Mosher, Business Insider

Permalink to story.

The US media is clearly in love with 'attention wh0res'. Whether it's Trump, this guy or other loudmouths — please stop forwarding their crap. Media attention is to them like water is to plants.

“I already designed my garden shed for Jupiter.” *pffffft*

I think he needs to move up his schedule. Remember the old saying "never put off until tomorrow what you can do today!"

Crazy? how many years off do you think it'll be before we have people on Mars? 20 or 30?

I'll bet Musk is in as good as spot as anyone for one of the first tickets since it might be his company that does it.

Also note - him saying he might die on Mars also could be read as 'I know how we'll get there, but we haven't figured out how to get home again.'

Because his tax savings will pay for the whole thing.

I thought he was already on Mars. :p
Close, but no. When Musk got to Mars, there was was a toll bridge built by Chuck Norris, so Musk had to turn back, as he had no money left to pay the toll.

Last edited:
A question is would be or not people glad to share a spot on Mars with Elon. There are not supposed to be so many stupid investors there. At the first time at least. But maybe he is waiting for people to rename the planet to Musk after arriving?

If I were him, I would at least make plans to be buried on Mars. That would be epic. :) You heard the idea here, folks. ;D

70%? So is that a Yes or a No? Or he decides to return to Earth 70% through the journey :p Would be interesting to know how he/they came up with this figure.

Back