Spanish authorities are using drones to warn people who break quarantine

midian182

Staff member
In context: Social distancing is an effective way of slowing the spread of the coronavirus, but not everyone is adhering to their government’s orders. In Spain, authorities are using speaker-equipped drones to scold people who aren’t staying indoors.

Spain currently has the fourth-highest number of coronavirus cases, sitting behind China, Italy, and Iran. There have been over 15,000 confirmed infections and 640 deaths, leading the country to declare a state of emergency. On Saturday, all 47 million citizens were ordered to stay indoors unless necessary.

Despite the restrictions, lots of Spanish citizens are refusing to self-isolate. To try and convince them to return home, the country’s police are using drones to warn people they should stay inside to help prevent the spread of the virus.

The thinking behind these lockdowns is to “flatten the curve” of infections, meaning the spread can be slowed down enough for hospitals to cope with the influx of new patients.

As noted by MSN, it’s unlikely that we’ll see drones in the US shouting at people for going outside. Quarantine rules vary from state to state, and none have called for a complete lockdown. Additionally, the US Department of the Interior recently signed a no-fly order for all drones due to cybersecurity concerns with those manufactured in China or that use Chinese parts.

It seems some people in Spain will do anything to avoid detection when flaunting the lockdown rules, including dressing up in an inflatable dinosaur costume. Local police tweeted a video of the incident, proof that life doesn’t always find a way.

Permalink to story.

If it comes to this in the US you will see first hand how difficult doing the right thing can be.

It has come to this. Doing the right thing is easy, but maintaining psychological health is paramount, and that is not so easy.

They should use military and police to FINE and charge people with offense. My country is doing that. Fine is 5 monthly paychecks and none is breaking quarantine. Drones are useless.

Its necessary there is a virus going around killing people
It's a virus that is still only mildly more lethal than the flu. Morons over-react. Smart people look at the information and actually think.

Governments are overstepping their boundaries.

It's a virus that is still only mildly more lethal than the flu. Morons over-react. Smart people look at the information and actually think.

I think all the people over 60 that are at greater risk and are dying will disagree with you.

And for the record not in that age group, I'm in the still young with a very good immune system group but I understand the dangers.

And your options if you don't like what your government is doing is to build a hut somewhere in the middle of a forest and tough it out your own rules but also no help from society :)

Erm, have you considered that those who died, died of pneumonia, and those who survived the pneumonia did so because of the supply of oxygen ventilators?

You're calling "scam" by judging based on death rate, but forgot that health professionals and other courageous souls (whom usually aren't the politicians) struggled through heaven and hell to bring it down to that level.

The current lowest estimate of lethality compared to the flu is six times more at 0.7% vs flu 0.1%, that's a lot more than a "mildly more lethal than the flu". In just the US in a very very slow flu season of 35,000 deaths that is 210,000 dead citizens. Using the Italian deathrate in their elderly of 8%+ that's orders of magnitude more lethal than the flu with major swathes of the population losing their parents and grandparents, some of which are still in the workforce.

Us 'smart people' do look at the information and do actually think. This isn't South Korea, 1/5th the size of California that is held up as THE EXAMPLE of what to do in testing and treatment. The US is 100 times larger, 500% larger population, and definitely not population concentrated in just cities (making access control easy).

This is aside from the ACLU, ***** teens coughing on produce for a youtube video, spring breakers, and non-believers thinking they understand facts based on the news talking heads and ignoring the ramifications of the facts.

Do try to remember, the flu is vaccinated against with varying success, but is vaccinated. That 0.1% is based on a vaccinated population.

Perhaps you should take a look at your "Morons over-react" definition a bit more closely.

Erm, have you considered that those who died, died of pneumonia, and those who survived the pneumonia did so because of the supply of oxygen ventilators?
No and because that information is not confirmed. That is media nonsense.
You're calling "scam"
I'm not calling scam at all. I'm calling this panic and over-reaction concerning something that is already too widespread to prevent in any effective way.

Do try to remember, the flu is vaccinated against with varying success, but is vaccinated. That 0.1% is based on a vaccinated population.
That information assumes everyone bothers with vaccination. Most do not.
Perhaps you should take a look at your "Morons over-react" definition a bit more closely.
Hold that thought.
teens coughing on produce for a youtube video
You were saying?

That information assumes everyone bothers with vaccination. Most do not.
CDC Estimate US
"...Among adults aged ≥18 years, coverage was 37.1%, 6.2 percentage points lower than coverage during the 2016–17 season (43.3%; Figure 1).

Coverage for 2017-18 was lower for every age group compared to the 2016–17 season (Figure 2). For all adult age groups, flu vaccination coverage estimates in the 2017–18 season were at their lowest levels compared with the seven prior flu seasons. For the 2017-18 season, flu vaccination coverage increased with age, from 26.9% among adults 18-49 years to 59.6% among adults ≥65 years (Figure 2). ..."

Not sure where you get your "facts". This was the first result in a DDG search on the US.
Wikipedia because the crowdthink like it.
  • 15–24 years: 13.12% (male 22,213,952/female 21,137,826)
  • 25–54 years: 39.29% (male 64,528,673/female 64,334,499)
  • 55–64 years: 12.94% (male 20,357,880/female 21,821,976)
  • 65 years and over: 16.03% (male 22,678,235/female 28,376,817)
That would be: about 74 million vaccinated in the US and 65% of the elderly vaccinated. You remember the fact part, the ones that die more under Wuhan Coronavirus?

I'm geting somewhat curious now about your "facts". Exactly what are they and where do you get them. My sources are listed.

I'm not calling scam at all. I'm calling this panic and over-reaction concerning something that is already too widespread to prevent in any effective way.
That would be the same "media nonsense" about emperor Xi shutting down Wuhan and the province and stopping the spread with the military after lying long enough to cause it to be a pandemic? The same nonsense about the Chinese reporting the only new cases are imported? Perhaps its the media nonsense about the South Koreans taking massive action on their concentrated population in that small area and lowering the deathrate effectively?

In the exemplar populations where strong action was taken quickly, deathrates went down and the spread was stopped. Where it wasn't because of Emperor Xi, (that would be Italy in the high Chinese population part where more Chinese tourists visited while Emperor Xi was hiding the facts) deathrates are orders of magnitude higher. You've already said Wuhan Coronavirus is 'slightly' worse than the flu when the minimum observed rate is six times higher. Do you have experience in disaster preparedness? Are you a member of the Ebola African response effort? Perhaps you were part of the SARS or H1N1 governments' staffs? On what facts or experience are you basing your position stating: "...panic and over-reaction concerning something that is already too widespread to prevent in any effective way..." ?

btw: You're not remotely discussing the lung scarring with lower function, and just yesterday the reports of possible cardiac damage being observed in the younger populations that will affect them the rest of their lives. There's a lot more going on with this Wuhan Virus than you are paying attention to. Perhaps you should.

To try to make it a bit more positive, one of the pet doctors on Fox News (Laura Ingraham show) is saying the scarring may be because of immune/body overreaction. The elderly have well trained immune responses and that may be causing an overreaction leading to pneumonia and terminal outcomes. Common immuno-suppressants are being reported as lowering deathrates significantly and combo therapies dropping it to zero. FDA is doing it's normal test well before using dance, but the Trump Administration may be overriding that (to its detriment if things go wrong). We'll see.

I said this:
Most do not.
You followed up with the following:
"...Among adults aged ≥18 years, coverage was 37.1%, 6.2 percentage points lower than coverage during the 2016–17 season (43.3%; Figure 1).

Coverage for 2017-18 was lower for every age group compared to the 2016–17 season (Figure 2). For all adult age groups, flu vaccination coverage estimates in the 2017–18 season were at their lowest levels compared with the seven prior flu seasons. For the 2017-18 season, flu vaccination coverage increased with age, from 26.9% among adults 18-49 years to 59.6% among adults ≥65 years (Figure 2). ..."
When the simple math is done, my statement remains correct. Context is important.

I said this:

You followed up with the following:

When the simple math is done, my statement remains correct. Context is important.
uh no. It's called crowd immunity for a reason. High movement, young people, less crowd immunity. Low movement, old people, more crowd immunity and 65% is not majority low. Facts. Read all of them.

Facts. Read all of them.
This is an example of two people reading the same thing and arriving at different conclusions. One of us is correct as the numbers cited were read, calculated and a result was produced. The other is making assumptions and attempting to debate well out of context. Which do you think is which? Going to let that alone now..

This is an example of two people reading the same thing and arriving at different conclusions. One of us is correct as the numbers cited were read, calculated and a result was produced. The other is making assumptions and attempting to debate well out of context. Which do you think is which? Going to let that alone now..
yeaaaahhhhh...I get that a lot. I especially love the silence as reality sets in.

Drudge: Half of all cases are under 50 says Cuomo
Half of all coronavirus cases in New York state are in patients under 50 years old, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said as he pleaded with young people to stop socializing and to increase their social distancing. Of the state’s 10,356 cases, 54 percent were in people aged 18 to 49, Cuomo said on Saturday. “You’re not superman and you’re not superwoman, you can get this virus and you can transfer the virus and you can wind up hurting someone who you love or hurting someone wholly inadvertently,” he said. “It has to be stopped.” He said he would be visiting sites around New York state on Saturday to see if people are still out socializing when they shouldn’t be. A full lockdown order will come into effect on Saturday night. The Trump administration task force indicated earlier this week that, contrary to earlier assumptions that the flu-like virus mainly affected the elderly and those with underlying health conditions, information from Europe showed that some millennials were in ICUs with severe cases of coronavirus.

But that's just me reading all the news whether I agree with news sources or not.

I used to be a swimmer. Ridiculous lung capacity. I learned how to force nap in the military. Couple weeks ago I spent 4 days with my O2 levels at 83% when I layed down unless I stayed awake and zen forced deep breathing. Waking up every 10 minutes gasping like I was underwater swimming was a treat. On the 4th day, when I gave up and went to the doctor, Xrays showed scars on the lungs . Still sitting in the house because there were no tests then and I still don't know if it was Chinese Coronavirus. Wife got it from me. Had to sit up at night and listen to wife's breathing to make sure the inhaler she was given worked enough for her to rest. Pre-millenial daughter caught it and docs gave her an inhaled drug for her decreased breath capacity. Grandson got whatever "bronchitis" was going around and we listened to him wheeze for days.

In spite of your need to see the systems and data as slanted, I wish you luck in getting the less killing variety "...slightly more lethal than the flu..." of the two reported as reported in the Chinese press.

Back