Spectrum allegedly throttled content providers Netflix and Riot Games for money

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
A hot potato: Spectrum is alleged to have been engaged in “artificially” throttling the broadband speeds for backbone and content providers including streaming services like Netflix and online gaming companies like Riot Games, which made and hosts League of Legends. The cable selectively limited port connections to companies unless they agreed to payment.

A couple of days ago we reported on how the New York State Public Service Commission kicked Charter owned cable provider Spectrum out of the state. The company allegedly failed to deliver on several promises related to its merger with Time-Warner Cable (TWC). In a bizarre twist to the story, it seems it was more than unfulfilled commitments that got Spectrum in trouble.

In its “official act,” the commission stated one of the reasons for its revocation of the merger was “the company's purposeful obfuscation of its performance and compliance obligations to the Commission and its customers.”

According to GamesIndustry.biz, this accusation refers to a 2017 lawsuit filed against Spectrum by New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman. The complaint is a laundry list of allegations ranging from leasing customers “deficient equipment” to misleading subscribers regarding internet speeds.

“Revisiting earlier arrangements, in which Spectrum-TWC often exchanged data with backbone and content providers for free, Spectrum-TWC now sought to make those providers pay Spectrum-TWC for access to its subscribers. A senior Spectrum-TWC executive explained in an email a short time later that, as consumer demand for content exploded, the company wanted to take the opportunity to extract additional revenues from content providers.”

Spectrum did this by deliberately limiting port capacities to content providers unless they paid for the connections. In layman’s terms, it was engaged in a form of extortion.

One of the companies named in the suit was Netflix, which refused to pay the fees. It even offered to freely install its own equipment on Spectrum’s "last mile" to improve subscribers’ content delivery. Spectrum insisted on payment instead. The squabble continued between 2012 and 2014, during which time Spectrum never informed customers why their access to Netflix was subpar.

Riot Games, makers of League of Legends was also listed as a victim to the throttling. In this instance, the company agreed to the payment demands but still did not receive adequate service.

Specifications for the game require a stable latency of less than 60ms with less than two percent packet loss.

“Latency above 100 milliseconds affected performance in key parts of the game, creating lag time that put Spectrum-TWC subscribers at a disadvantage to their gaming competitors on other ISP networks,” states the lawsuit. “Similarly, packet loss of more than two percent resulted in interruptions, buffering, and other performance issues.”

Riot agreed to pay Spectrum in August 2015 in hopes of lowering latency. The company, which started tracking its data in 2013, provided proof that Spectrum’s latency was well above 100ms (graph above). Furthermore, even after paying the cable provider to connect ports, latency only lowered to about 90ms — nowhere close to the 60ms threshold. Packet loss also remained well above two percent during the same period.

This lawsuit has not been decided yet, but it does not change the commission’s decision to boot Spectrum out of New York. The company has 60 days to pack its bags, which includes coming up with a plan “to ensure an orderly transition to a successor provider(s).” If the switch does not go smoothly, the commission will consider taking other actions including bringing the matter in front of the supreme court.

Permalink to story.

Talk about double-dipping.

And talk about no problems before Net Neutrality. 2012 - 2014 was before NN which stared in 2015. So the anti-NN crowd just lost its no problems before NN argument.

TWC/Spectrump are scum. No ands, ifs, or buts about it.

I hope they find a better ISP in NY.

I used to see Netflix and YouTube slowdown until I hopped on a VPN and my ISP stopped being able to see what the hell I was doing.
In a way, though, that is the same thing in reverse - assuming that you pay extra for the VPN.

And talk about no problems before Net Neutrality. 2012 - 2014 was before NN which stared in 2015. So the anti-NN crowd just lost its no problems before NN argument.

You haven't been paying attention if you think this is all about net neutrality. Plenty of major ISP's were busted for throttling before NN was removed.

And here they advertise that they will NEVER limit speeds ..... what a joke!

They also advertised that they were expanding their network in NY and without taxpayer money. Now they are being kicked out for not expanding their network with taxpayer money. All charter buying TW did was make a big monopoly bigger.

You haven't been paying attention if you think this is all about net neutrality. Plenty of major ISP's were busted for throttling before NN was removed.

Can you provide a link that shows that ISPs were throttling during the period NN was active?

NY proper (NYC) has both Optimum (Cablevison) and FIOS covering most of the footprint TWC/Spectrum operates in. Most of Long Island is also covered by these two options, though TWC/Spectrum didn't have as large a footprint out there. Upstate is mostly limited to Comcast as far as I'm aware.

Optimum is pretty damn good as far as ISP's go; base service is up to 15Mbps, and their higher tiers only cost like $5 extra per tier (I'm on their 75Mbps tier). All with no throttling/bandwidth limitations.

The fact that there is a lawsuit that still hasn't been settled for violations that occurred before the 2015 NN rules AND that fact that it wasn't turned over to the FCC before during or after the NN rules says a lot.

Spectrum has really bad delivery of product, no wonder they want to throttle others. They recently converted to "all Digital" and give us "1080". Bandwidth is lo low, it does not look like 1080 and has a lot of digital artifacts on screen. Netflix, on the other hand has a beautiful 1080 picture, when it is not throttled. also, we have to have old-fashion cable boxes, even though we own smart TVs. These boxes are hot all the time, indicating they waste a lot of energy, are ugly, require a separate remote. Way to be stuck in the wrong century.

Hey Spectrum, ever hear of 4K? hahahahaha never happen on "all digital package".

I heard cable is about 6gbps into the home, any company that has that much entry and can't deliver what customers want, does not deserve to continue to do business. If my cable didn't come with the HOA fees for condo. snip snip bye-bye.

Sorry, but I think you are not paying attention. This is what happens WITHOUT NN.

Poor murcia, going further and further down the pan day by day.
Being a US citizen, I have to agree with you. Whether US citizens like it or not, if there were a study done of the characteristics of the decline of an empire, I think what the US is experiencing now would fit those characteristics very well.

NY proper (NYC) has both Optimum (Cablevison) and FIOS covering most of the footprint TWC/Spectrum operates in. Most of Long Island is also covered by these two options, though TWC/Spectrum didn't have as large a footprint out there. Upstate is mostly limited to Comcast as far as I'm aware.

Optimum is pretty damn good as far as ISP's go; base service is up to 15Mbps, and their higher tiers only cost like $5 extra per tier (I'm on their 75Mbps tier). All with no throttling/bandwidth limitations.
It depends on what you call upstate. I suspect that NYC is one of the few areas in the state where there are multiple ISPs covering the same region. Frontier DSL is around, too, but with a switch 30,000ft from my location, speed is abysmal - so that is not really an option for "broadband." That leaves Spectrum and spotty coverage from a fiber provider - Greenlight.

In a way, though, that is the same thing in reverse - assuming that you pay extra for the VPN.
$35/year yes. However, that money is not going to the ISP.
I agree that the money is not going to the ISP, but the ISPs policy requires such measures to get proper speed from providers like Netflix. There is no reason that anyone should have to take these measures to get these and similar services. I do get the privacy/security issue, however, I see that as a different matter.

Comcast had a similar dispute with Level 5 (Netflix's backbone operator) around 2012-2013 or so. That dispute was one of the driving forces behind the Obama FCC pushing for NN in the first place.

That's what I thought as well but there seem to be people that believe, even here on techspot, that throttling occurred when NN was in place and that NN was put in place with no evidence of throttling (those are opposites but people who oppose NN make those kind of hyperbolic statements). The problem with those arguments is that NN was only put in place after 3 public examples of foul play by ISPs and that I've yet to see a shred of evidence that NN didn't make things better. Heck, just for me personally since the NN repeal my bill has gotten less transparent, the service worse, and I seem to get weekly disruptions in my YouTube and Twitch videos.

I hope you enjoyed reading this article as much as I did. It's good to know that a rogue company can still be brought to justice.

Incidentally, the National Wildlife Federation just announced that Ajit Pai will be receiving its Weasel Of The Year award.

No, actually I made that up.

Last edited:
This company is a joke
Thursday I paid for Internet service they sent equipment in the mail I set up and call was not working told me its cause old roomate had service he moved out they won't refound my money told me that there putting it on his bill pretty much said use his sevices aint that fraud then a supervisor told me to bring proof to the local spectrum store of my lease and I did lady told me that wasnt my lease and the names where not on there and clearly everything was this company is a joke theifs who can I call nd report them to

This company is a joke
Thursday I paid for Internet service they sent equipment in the mail I set up and call was not working told me its cause old roomate had service he moved out they won't refound my money told me that there putting it on his bill pretty much said use his sevices aint that fraud then a supervisor told me to bring proof to the local spectrum store of my lease and I did lady told me that wasnt my lease and the names where not on there and clearly everything was this company is a joke theifs who can I call nd report them to
"This company is a joke! Thursday I paid for internet service and they sent the equipment in the mail. I set it up and had to call them because it was not working. They told me that since my previous room mate had service to use that and they would put my money towards his bill. Isn't that fraud? One of their supervisors told me to bring proof of my lease to the Spectrum store. Well, I did that and they told me it wasn't my lease because my name was not on it. Clearly everything with this company is a joke. They are thieves! Who can I call to report them?"

I tried :confused:

Back