Split partition annoyance

Status
Not open for further replies.

spkenny

Hey everyone. Got a simple matter of a split partition in winxp. I installed winxp pro on a friends computer (they hated vista like u wouldnt believe), and after getting everything installed driver-wise, I noticed that the size of the hard driver under properties seemed smaller than the size I had seen on the hard drive inside the system. Naturally, I went into Admin tools, and behold a split partition. This is not something I have run into too often, so I need help on how to combine two partitions. I have had this situation once before, and successfully did it in the admin tools, but it's been a little bit and I simply don't recall how I did it. Any help will certainly be filed under my 'how to' folder on computer setups. Thanx

kenny

I could be wrong but I don't think you can extend the "Active" partition via Disk Management in XP.

Check out something like GParted. Download the LiveCD, burn the .iso as an image and then boot off the disk. Delete the partition without Windows on it so it reads "unallocated space", then just extend the partition with Windows to occupy the "unallocated space".

Some OEM systems ship with a hidden partition for recovery purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back