Spotify reportedly revamping policy on hateful content following artist backlash

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Spotify earlier this month announced a controversial new policy regarding hate content and hateful conduct. In a nutshell, the streaming music platform reserved the right to remove offensive content from its platform at its digression or at the very least, refrain from promoting content from artists and creators that have demonstrated hateful conduct in their personal lives.

The backlash from the intentionally vague policy was apparently a bit more than Spotify bargained for.

Sources with knowledge of the matter tell Bloomberg that Spotify has told artists, managers and record label executives that it will once again add songs from XXXTentacion to its promoted playlists. The rapper, who was once charged with battering a pregnant woman, was reportedly one of the first artists affected by Spotify’s new policy.

R. Kelly was also singled out by Spotify earlier this month.

Bloomberg reports that changes to the recent policy are still being hammered out and that there are currently no plans to begin promoting R. Kelly’s music again.

According to the report, representatives for several artists including Kendrick Lamar reached out to Spotify CEO Daniel Ek and Troy Carter, head of artist relations, to express their frustration with the policy. Some even reportedly threatened to remove their work from the platform if the matter wasn’t rectified.

Sources say Carter planned to depart Spotify over the ordeal but has since agreed to stay after Ek assured him that changes would be made.

R. Kelly image via Getty Images

Permalink to story.

Does this mean that all mumble rappers are going to get banned? Their content is almost as offensive as the quality of their music
Not to mention they HATE it when others use the N word but they freely use it in their songs for 50% of the lyrics...

Oh go home Spotify. Just stick to streaming the music. Let the courts deal with misconduct in society.

Does this mean that all mumble rappers are going to get banned? Their content is almost as offensive as the quality of their music
I prithee tell me my Prince, exactly how does one summon the hubris to call most of that profanity laced, racist garbage, "music"? :confused:

Not to mention they HATE it when others use the N word but they freely use it in their songs for 50% of the lyrics...
I keep telling people they use the "N-word", as a taunt. In the sense that, "we can say it all we want, but whites better not even think about using it". :p. But society is so inundated with that crap, perverted logic, repetitive references to slavery, spin from the NAACP and organizations of that nature, and left wing propaganda, white people have begun to think they deserve it.

My primary objection is that it consists of nothing but distorted, close minded crap, which is in essence, "flat earth logic", since it contains no mythology, no aspirations, and its view of life ends at the stop sign on the corner..Whoops, I mean "da en of da block".

I'm gonna beez a rapper someday. Just wait 'til I steal a thesaurus from the public library, and mix every other rhyming word, with the "seven words you can't say on TV".

A couple of days ago, I was exposed to this gem of tasteless poetry, "gave my girlfren' a zannie, she pulled down her panties", at 120 Db or so.

The scariest thing about "gansta rap", is that it resonates so intensely with young black males, they walk down the street mumbling the garbage, suddenly convincing themselves the crack they're dealing, and the 9 mil they're carrying, make them something very special. But then, don't all sociopaths think they're "special,"?

I keep telling people they use the "N-word", as a taunt. In the sense that, "we can say it all we want, but whites better not even think about using it". :p. But society is so inundated with that crap, perverted logic, repetitive references to slavery, spin from the NAACP and organizations of that nature, and left wing propaganda, white people have begun to think they deserve it.

My primary objection is that it consists of nothing but distorted, close minded crap, which is in essence, "flat earth logic", since it contains no mythology, no aspirations, and its view of life ends at the stop sign on the corner..Whoops, I mean "da en of da block".

I'm gonna beez a rapper someday. Just wait 'til I steal a thesaurus from the public library, and mix every other rhyming word, with the "seven words you can't say on TV".

A couple of days ago, I was exposed to this gem of tasteless poetry, "gave my girlfren' a zannie, she pulled down her panties", at 120 Db or so.

The scariest thing about "gansta rap", is that it resonates so intensely with young black males, they walk down the street mumbling the garbage, suddenly convincing themselves the crack they're dealing, and the 9 mil they're carrying, make them something very special. But then, don't all sociopaths think they're "special,"?

Woohoo for generalizing a whole race of humans!

Woohoo for generalizing a whole race of humans!
I'm actually not. In fact many, many older African Americans despise rap to the same degree I do.

I does have a massive emotional,impact on the 13 to 25 group, particularly black males.Who, after psyching themselves up with stories of "bang, bang, shoot, shoot", and evading thev "po, po", have begun to shoot one another at the prom. See, you can dress them up, but you can't take them anywhere nice

I live in the hood. The toll over the past couple of years has been one death by stabbing, that person's girlfriend dying of a smack overdose, a gun "fight" which took out all the windows of my car, killed a neighbor's dog, but didn't harm either one of the participants. Lest I forget, two people murdered at the end of "da block".

One of the neighbors receives full section 8 benefits, (free rent), while having at least 3 grown men dealing crack out the front door 24/7, including her 18 year old grandson..

Now I know that none of these goings on has anything to do with rap music, it's so obviously the gun manufacturers fault, white people's fault for slavery, (which BTW ended in 1865 and paid for by the lives 400,000 (or so), dead Union soldiers).

But yes, I think the Southerners should be allowed to keep their Robert E. Lee statue exactly where it is. No matter which meat head rocker from my generation refuse to perform because of it.

Then there's US government to blame for not marching these youths into school at gunpoint, and forcing them to learn a trade.

Anytime you find yourself willing to see how the real world is, not the liberal bullsh!t propaganda you've so very obviously overdosed on, come on down here to the ghetto. You can help me cut out a new rear window for the cap of my truck.

I'm actually not. In fact many, many older African Americans despise rap to the same degree I do.

I does have a massive emotional,impact on the 13 to 25 group, particularly black males.Who, after psyching themselves up with stories of "bang, bang, shoot, shoot", and evading thev "po, po", have begun to shoot one another at the prom. See, you can dress them up, but you can't take them anywhere nice

I live in the hood. The toll over the past couple of years has been one death by stabbing, that person's girlfriend dying of a smack overdose, a gun "fight" which took out all the windows of my car, killed a neighbor's dog, but didn't harm either one of the participants. Lest I forget, two people murdered at the end of "da block".

One of the neighbors receives full section 8 benefits, (free rent), while having at least 3 grown men dealing crack out the front door 24/7, including her 18 year old grandson..

Now I know that none of these goings on has anything to do with rap music, it's so obviously the gun manufacturers fault, white people's fault for slavery, (which BTW ended in 1865 and paid for by the lives 400,000 (or so), dead Union soldiers).

But yes, I think the Southerners should be allowed to keep their Robert E. Lee statue exactly where it is. No matter which meat head rocker from my generation refuse to perform because of it.

Then there's US government to blame for not marching these youths into school at gunpoint, and forcing them to learn a trade.

Anytime you find yourself willing to see how the real world is, not the liberal bullsh!t propaganda you've so very obviously overdosed on, come on down here to the ghetto. You can help me cut out a new rear window for the cap of my truck.

TL;DR - I couldn't possibly care less about your mansplaining.

Back