Spotify shares the top tunes and trends of 2018

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Hip-hop was hot in 2018 as the top five tracks of the year were all from this category. Individually, Drake had a stellar year, as did Post Malone and the late XXXTENTACION.

Drake has become Spotify’s most-streamed artist of all time. The Canadian rapper was responsible for 8.2 billion streams this year, making him the platform’s most-streamed artist of 2018. He earned similar honors in 2015 and 2016 but relinquished the crown to Ed Sheeran in 2017.

Drake’s album “Scorpion” and his single “God’s Plan” topped their respective categories.

Rounding out the top five most-streamed artists is Post Malone, XXXTENTACTION, J Balvin and Ed Sheeran, in that order. Spotify’s top-streamed female artist was Ariana Grande, riding the wave of success generated by her fourth album, Sweetener, which dropped in August.

Imagine Dragons, meanwhile, was Spotify’s most-streamed group in 2018 followed by K-pop sensation BTS, Maroon 5, Migos and Coldplay. Spotify defines a group as having at least three members.

The year’s most-streamed tracks are as follows:

• God’s Plan – Drake
  • SAD! – XXXTENTACION
  • rockstar (feat. 21 Savage) – Post Malone
  • Psycho (feat. Ty Dolla $ign) – Post Malone
  • In My Feelings – Drake

In the podcast category, Fest & Flauschig was the most-streamed exclusive Spotify podcast. Crime and mystery was the top genre with comedy and news & politics rounding out the top three.

Lead image courtesy Kathy Hutchins, Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

From my old man cloud:

Isn't it time for a new music revolution? Rap/hip-hop has been SO done and for SO long.

Think it's time for a new genre where people actually sing, write their own music and play their own instruments. Again. ;)

Every generation has it's own music taste :)
I'm a 90's kid. I remember that the grown ups dident like the music I did listen to .
We have the same problem now with the "new generation" its oke :) If they enjoy it leave them :)

From my old man cloud:

Isn't it time for a new music revolution? Rap/hip-hop has been SO done and for SO long.
It doesn't feel like it when you listen to what sounds like not music. However it has come a long way, I like to listen to music depending on my mood and it can go from 80's rock to electronic music to Drake, I do like nowadays music.

From my old man cloud:

Think it's time for a new genre where people actually sing, write their own music and play their own instruments. Again. ;)

There has been. Hou
From my old man cloud:

It doesn't feel like it when you listen to what sounds like not music. However it has come a long way, I like to listen to music depending on my mood and it can go from 80's rock to electronic music to Drake, I do like nowadays music.

There is a great jam in any decade and any genre. I have found some amazing artist that have only been around for the last decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4xKvHANqjk

Bonobo/Casey Neinstat/Trippy tracks
https://open.spotify.com/user/1162247089/playlist/0ZZu9oqqhr2RsxmT6aiekg?si=nGUsmKLcTS2r481NOpoYHA

or I've been collecting Contemporary RNB recently (need to remove some tracks tho)
https://open.spotify.com/user/1162247089/playlist/7navuuPSGnE0rbzu6pzusT?si=bcXR8kIYTky4LBp1zHAdiQ

As long as Spotify keeps my playlists (blues, southern rock, OLD SCHOOL country), I'll keep using it.

Back