SSD prices to fall 10-15 percent in Q4 as memory market remains saturated

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: TrendForce labeled sanctions against Huawei as having a major impact on the overall memory market. Specifically, politics prompted other smartphone brands to actively stock up on memory products in an effort to grab some of Huawei’s market share. Even still, the momentum was unable to jolt the industry back to a fully recovered state.

Those in the market for some speedy solid-state storage are in luck as pricing is expected to dip to new lows due to continued oversupply in the memory market.

TrendForce revealed in a recent report that with regard to NAND flash, high customer inventory levels have led to an oversupply situation that is even more evident than in the DRAM market. For enterprise solid-state drives specifically, this is expected to lead to a 10-15 percent drop in average selling price (ASP) quarter-over-quarter and a 10 percent ASP drop overall for NAND flash.

TrendForce cited weakening demand from server manufacturers as one factor holding down enterprise SSDs.

As a result, the overall DRAM market is also slumping, with ASPs projected to dip by about 10 percent in the current quarter.

From a consumer standpoint, lower SSD prices certainly aren’t anything to complain about. Flash-based drives have always been priced at a premium over traditional mechanical hard drives. With SSD prices continuing to fall, we’ll no doubt see HDDs pushed further out of the market, eventually giving way to flash altogether.

Masthead credit: KenSoftTH

Permalink to story.

I havn't noticed any drop in prices for SSDs bigger than 1TB at the local shop recently, and don't expect to.
With new generation of games expanding over 100GB, probably traders smelled blood, and unless You're buying big, like Sony or Microsoft, prices for 2,4&8 TBs will probably stay high.

I already own a 2TB MX500, so my next natural step would be 4-8TB.

On the other hand, 500GB are dirt cheap, even at the sorry-S exchange rate to US$ We have now, so If anyone doesn't have one, It's time to buy.

YES! This is good news! Let the prices crash, we've over-paid for memory too long. First clue, it's hard to believe that a mechanical HDD is cheaper than products made purely from silicon.

I've been watching memory for years. I recently picked up 32GB of DDR4 (4x8GB) for only $110 and I don't even have a system to run it! Over the decades, I learned to always buy RAM when it's down!

I havn't noticed any drop in prices for SSDs bigger than 1TB at the local shop recently, and don't expect to.
With new generation of games expanding over 100GB, probably traders smelled blood, and unless You're buying big, like Sony or Microsoft, prices for 2,4&8 TBs will probably stay high.

I already own a 2TB MX500, so my next natural step would be 4-8TB.

On the other hand, 500GB are dirt cheap, even at the sorry-S exchange rate to US$ We have now, so If anyone doesn't have one, It's time to buy.

Yep, large drives haven't seemed to drop a bit. The price movement in the SSD market has been disappointing for some time now.

Some of the cloud storage is very affordable at the moment...just in time for the high speed broadband, here at least.

Back